ArcGIS Pro - Add Load Objects Command

06-21-2017 05:38 AM
Labels (1)
RichardLittlefield
Occasional Contributor II

In ArcMap there is the Load Objects Command, it's found under customize mode. See link on how to add it in ArcMap. I use this all the time, and would like to see it in Pro or an equivalent tool. I've done a little bit of searching and it doesn't seem to exist for Pro. Can it please be added?

Adding the Load Objects command to ArcMap—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

15 Comments
RichardLittlefield

I've spoken with Esri and the equivalent tool in Pro is the Append tool. I've tested this tool with my workflows and it works great.

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/data-management/append.htm

ThomasColson

But this tool can't be added to the, say, Edit Toolbar as the Simple Data Loader can in ArcMap. Second, the Simple Data Loader would automatically pick up matching schema, and use pick-lists where it didn't match, or give me the choice to default to null. This is far more cumbersome and time-consuming with the append tool. 

RichardLittlefield

To me, it might take a little bit longer to pick your fields, but that could also be the user. I'm not use to the interface of the append tool yet, so maybe it was me. My main concern was being able to match up the fields between the datasets with the pick lists, which the append tool has. I wanted the Load Objects or an equivalent tool. The append tool is equivalent in my opinion as of now.

Everything in Pro you have to run a tool to do something. So I don't see them changing that. You'll have to run the append tool.

Not sure if it is possible, but you can try going to Options > Customize the Ribbon. Maybe you can add the append tool to your edit tab? Might be worth trying?

LeeDavis1

Could you all please add functionality into ArcMap/ Pro to export features from a layer into an existing feature class. Currently the Data\Export Data, Export Features, Export Table options output a new item. In the world of enterprise GIS and fixed data schemas it would be extremely helpful to be able to set a definition query or make a complex attribute/ spatial selection then export those features into your existing data structure with the help of a simple data loader.

So the workflow would be: setup local data, create a layer, make your selection/ query, Data/Export Features, select feature class to output to, map fields in simple data loader....job done. Get another cup of coffee.

Thanks for your consideration.

Lee

KoryKramer

Lee Davis‌ Can't this be done using the Append tool: Append—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop ?

As long as you've selected the features in the input dataset (in the case of using a definition query, I think you'd have to add one step to actually select them) you can use the Append tool's Field Map Control...  wouldn't that work?  If not, could you provide specific examples where that workflow doesn't meet your needs?

Thank you.

LeeDavis1

I don't like the Append tool. I've had issues with the field mapping/ loading. Also I'm not sure if it respects feature selection as input. I'm sure it will respect definition query. The simple data loader interface is far superior, and reliable.

To further the idea, consider if you wanted to move features between existing feature classes. You could make your selection, export, and there could be an option to cut or to copy the features.

Greg_Mattis

lee.davis‌ Append does honor feature selection. On a monthly basis I preform and export of our crimes to our archival database and I select those that are older than 1 year old or older and then append them to other feature class. Could you elaborate on what issues you have had with the Field Mapping of the Append tool?

KoryKramer

Make your selection and use Copy > Paste Special from the Clipboard group into your other feature class: Copy and paste using the clipboard—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

LeeDavis1

I realize there's many ways to skin a cat when it comes to moving data around. I've done it every way there is to do it. I'm just proposing a more intuitive, and faster way in my opinion.  

KoryKramer

Fair enough, Lee:)  Just wanted to make sure you were familiar with these ways - sometimes we see ideas, throw out the types of suggestions and questions like the above, and the poster wasn't aware and finds it very helpful.  As long as you're aware of those, the idea stands as Reviewed and is open to voting.

Thank you!