Select to view content in your preferred language

Can the Data Loader Tools - Worksheets be used to load directly to SDE?

Jump to solution
05-16-2024 11:07 AM
CristinHolmgren2
New Contributor

I have had a lot of success using the data loading worksheets to load from gdb to gdb, but I cannot find any documentation about loading from gdb to SDE using the same worksheets.  Is the load to SDE via the worksheets not currently supported?  If it is, does anyone have an example of the target path syntax?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PatrickGCowan
Esri Contributor

Loading to an SDE database via a direct connection to the database is supported. This is done via a connection file. Make a database connection file with the proper credentials and then use that as your target dataset (https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/create-database-connection.h...).

For example, in the Target column of a DataReference.xlsx sheet you would use something similar to this path where the DLT.sde is the connection file that you created.

C:\Temp\DLT\DLT.sde\dlt.user.GravityMain

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
PatrickGCowan
Esri Contributor

Loading to an SDE database via a direct connection to the database is supported. This is done via a connection file. Make a database connection file with the proper credentials and then use that as your target dataset (https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/create-database-connection.h...).

For example, in the Target column of a DataReference.xlsx sheet you would use something similar to this path where the DLT.sde is the connection file that you created.

C:\Temp\DLT\DLT.sde\dlt.user.GravityMain

0 Kudos
CristinHolmgren2
New Contributor

Thanks Patrick!  I've tried several renditions of the below path and keep getting a 'does not exist or is not supported' error.  Anything I might be missing?  I've tried with and without the FeatureDataset in the path - Same error.

C:\Temp\PROD @ TESTING.sde\PROD.FeatureDataset\PROD.FeatureClass

0 Kudos
PatrickGCowan
Esri Contributor

I would check that the path for the SDE is correct. You can do this with python by using arcpy.Exists. If the path is valid, it should return True. You may want to look into the permissions and versioning on the SDE connection as well.

arcpy.Exists("C:\Temp\PROD @ TESTING.sde\PROD.FeatureDataset\PROD.FeatureClass")

0 Kudos
CristinHolmgren2
New Contributor

Thanks again.  The database is traditionally versioned (has children & grandchildren), but I would like to load the data straight to default.  The connection string is connected as the data owner and the Default version. Seems that one issue was that the path was too long.  Had success at getting the arcpy.Exists to return true for target and source, but am still getting errors - Runtime errors when tool executes.

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Did you save the username and password in the file?

0 Kudos
CristinHolmgren2
New Contributor

Hi Mike,

Database Connection has User Name and Password saved.

0 Kudos
CristinHolmgren2
New Contributor

After really digging into this, my issue ended up being a GlobalID/GUID issue combined with a path that was too long.  I have been able to successfully load into a traditionally versioned SDE, but am now experiencing some issues with the attachments coming through.  Attachment table gets populated, relationships look correct, but blobs do not resolve, nor is Pro seeing the feature and its attachments as related, even though the Feature.GlobalID field and Table.REF_GlobalID field match.  Maybe the issue is the Feature.GlobalID field is a GUID?

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

If the row is coming over, but the blob is not usable, then I suggest you log a bug.  Something is not loading correctly with the attachment.  Are your attachments photos?

0 Kudos
CristinHolmgren2
New Contributor

Yes.  Attachments are photos (mostly), none are working.

0 Kudos