Select to view content in your preferred language

RE-PROJECTION  Coordinate System

Jump to solution
08-21-2014 06:38 AM
EduardoArias
Deactivated User

Hello there,

How can I project/reproject efficiently Shape and Raster files to the same coordinate system? 

All these files belong to the same area thus after the reprojection should overlap but some do and others appear in a different screen-location

I tried different ways:

1. Using ToolBox: Data Management Tolls  Projections and Transformations  (Feature and Raster options)

2. From Arc Catalog : Properties  XY Coordinaate Systems

3. From Table of Contents  Layers  Properties  XY Coordinate Systems

I will start to do some research using Python.

I WILL APPRECIATE ANY SUGGESTIONS TO SOLVE THIS “little” ISSUE. IT IS STOPING MY PROGRESS…….

Thanks folks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Eduardo,

There is a difference between assigning a projection to a dataset and projecting a dataset from one projection to another.

read more on this is this post: When should I use the Define Projection tool and the Project tool?

Python is very powerful to help you do these things. Key is to know what the projection of a dataset is, to which projection you want to project it and what transformations are required.

Maybe one of the easiest ways to start with seeing some python code is this:

• manually execute a tool
  • open the Results windows
  • right click on the executed process and select copy python snippet.

This will give you the python code you need to execute the tool you just executed. It will indicate what variables you will need to change to apply it to different datasets.

Another valuable resource is the Help. Most of the Help pages come with examples of python code (just scroll down).

Define Projection (Data Management)

Project (Data Management)

Project Raster (Data Management)

Kind regards, Xander

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Eduardo,

There is a difference between assigning a projection to a dataset and projecting a dataset from one projection to another.

read more on this is this post: When should I use the Define Projection tool and the Project tool?

Python is very powerful to help you do these things. Key is to know what the projection of a dataset is, to which projection you want to project it and what transformations are required.

Maybe one of the easiest ways to start with seeing some python code is this:

• manually execute a tool
  • open the Results windows
  • right click on the executed process and select copy python snippet.

This will give you the python code you need to execute the tool you just executed. It will indicate what variables you will need to change to apply it to different datasets.

Another valuable resource is the Help. Most of the Help pages come with examples of python code (just scroll down).

Define Projection (Data Management)

Project (Data Management)

Project Raster (Data Management)

Kind regards, Xander

0 Kudos