Select to view content in your preferred language

same projection, different extent UTM zone 48N

Jump to solution
04-04-2015 06:26 AM
wan_shafrina
Deactivated User

Hi,

I really need help! I have LiDAR data, projection in UTM 48N WGS 84. I need to clip this lidar data with shapefile who i also project to the same coordinate system with LiDAR. But the thing is, both has no overlap boundary box and the coordinate reading also different.

Here as an example:

Shapefiles coordinate: 478242.563, 328792.018

lidar coordinate: 199500,328500

the x value doesn't have an overlap. I have make every effort to re-project this data one to another but it still failed. Can someone please tell, why the reading is different??

cheers!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SepheFox
Deactivated User

Yes, Wan, it sounds as though you defined the projection of one or both data layers into the incorrect projection. What was the original projection of both layers?

Remember:

Define Projection tool sets the projection to whatever it was originally. You cannot change a projection here.

Project tool changes the projection to whatever you choose.

If you accidentally used the define projection tool, and defined the incorrect projection, you can use it again to define it to the correct one, then use the project tool to change it to something new. Does that make sense?

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Are you sure about the projections? or were they defined as that using the Define Projection tool in Arctoolbox...if this is the case one, or both have been defined incorrectely

SepheFox
Deactivated User

Yes, Wan, it sounds as though you defined the projection of one or both data layers into the incorrect projection. What was the original projection of both layers?

Remember:

Define Projection tool sets the projection to whatever it was originally. You cannot change a projection here.

Project tool changes the projection to whatever you choose.

If you accidentally used the define projection tool, and defined the incorrect projection, you can use it again to define it to the correct one, then use the project tool to change it to something new. Does that make sense?

wan_shafrina
Deactivated User

Thank you for your answer. yes i need to use the project tool. not define projection tool. Problem solved! tqvm

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Deactivated User

​A common mistake    I am so glad you solved your problem!

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

also... are these correct? 478242.563, 328792.018  kind of puts you in water

wan_shafrina
Deactivated User

Thanks for your answer. Problem has been solved!

0 Kudos