How can I improve this map (world with Antartica)?

11-13-2017 02:30 AM
GB
by
New Contributor

Hello!

I downloaded a geodatabase with all countries, included independent regions with their own borders. For the purpose of my work, I need to keep Antartica on the map. Initially, I used the GCS_WGS_1984 (source), then I decided to use the projected coordinate system world WGS 1984 Web Mercator. However I don't like the result (document attached), mainly because Antartica is shaped like a rectangle. How can I improve this visualization?

In reality I don't like WGS 1984 Web Marcator also because Greenland results bigger than South America, do you have alternatives?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

The regular Mercator projection can't display a pole. The Hotine oblique Mercator and RSO projections can display the poles depending on the projection parameters. 

What do you want to do with the data? Is it for display, analysis (what type?), etc.?

You can look at the ArcGIS help list of support projections. The individual projection pages usually have a picture showing what the projection looks like and information about it like which property if any is preserved (area, shape, etc.).

Melita