Dirga Daniel, Indonesia

01-15-2020 03:17 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
0 0 720

Navigation:  2018 Scholar Project    ReferenceProject   CommunitiesPage   ConservationGIS  Scgis.org

Dirga Daniel;  GIS and Database Officer, WWF INDONESIA

xWildlife xPark  xMarine  xProtectedArea xFisheries  x2018Scholar x2018Talk  xScholar xTalk xIndonesia xAsia

Graha Simatupang Tower II C7-11,  Jl T.B. Simatupang No.Kav 38

Jati Padang Pasar Minggu, Jakarta Selatan, DKI Jakarta Indonesia

*-Main email:  media@wwf.id

your email: daniel.dirga@gmail.com, ddaniel@wwf.id

(Scgis Years: yr18 )

I have a responsibility as a World Wildlife Fund GIS Officer with scope areas of Maluku and West Papua Province. My main responsibility is to lead spatial analysis and research related to our core program such as marine spatial planning policy, marine protected area and fisheries. I am working collaboration with provincial and local partner. Essentially, my job is engaging with local government, academic institution and local community to support policy maker and regulation in our implementation area.  As a working group team together with 20 institutions, we are in progress to finalize marine spatial planning document of West Papua. This program includes collecting data from field, analysis through spatial and non-spatial method, and assist provincial government to arrange marine space utilization. I am responsible to lead GIS working team and ensure working group support in line with marine spatial planning document. Relevant with marine protected area program, I am responsible working with community collecting monitoring data of ecosystem and social-economy, and assist local community in understanding and implementing conservation program as our bottom-up approach in initiation of marine protection area.

I have been interested in SCGIS Training since I heard it from my colleague. This training is so special because this is the only training be run in five weeks. Based on the material offered, this training will start with basic understanding about using ArcGIS for GIS work. This section is very important since using software to help our GIS work need a full of understanding about the software. And I hope I can explore more tools in ArcGIS especially relevant tools for conservation analysis. Working in the group is very interesting from me since I can learn much from other participants. Their experience and problems could be the same as my problem or maybe in the future I will meet the same problem. I hope this training give an extensive portion for sharing and discussion time among the participant.

I am also very interested in building my network with people who have interest in GIS and spatial conservation especially in east Indonesia. We already started small group comprised student who want to know about GIS and spatial analysis in West Papua. Now I am currently in progress to build a GIS team that are going to collaborate with universities in West Papua in contributing to Marine Spatial Planning at provincial levels. One of my goal is to introduce mapping technology and application as one of fun scientific activities and to stimulate them to do beneficial small research to solve their problem and support positive actions among them. I hope what I learn from this training can be adopt to our program and can be shared to our friends, colleague, and community. With advanced knowledge in GIS I am sure that we can increase our effort for conservation in effective and efficient ways. 

Your Organization: Indonesia is one of the most diverse nations in marine diversity and species. Almost east of Indonesia includes in coral triangle boundary nearly has 600 different species of reef-building corals alone, the region nurtures six of the world’s seven marine turtle species and more than 2000 species of reef fish. Coral triangle also supports large populations of commercially important tuna, fueling a multi-billion-dollar global tuna industry. Over 120 million people live in the Coral Triangle and rely on its coral reefs for food, income and protection from storms (Coral Triangle fact sheet, WWF). Fast population and economic growth have fueled unsustainable coastal development and boosted demand for expensive marine resources. These factors have a negative impact on food security, employment opportunities, and the standards of living of people dependent on marine resources for their livelihoods. Conservation efforts is one of the top priority program to ensure sustainable of natural resources and protect the marine diversity and species from extractive and destructive impact.

With the same Since 1993, WWF-Indonesia began working with the aim of restoring the balance of marine ecosystems, supporting sustainable fisheries practices and protection of endangered marine species. -Indonesia Marine Program Office spread from Aceh to Papua, precisely in Paloh, West Kalimantan; Wakatobi, Southeast Sulawesi; Small Kei Islands, Banda Sea; Ambon, Maluku; Kupang, NTT; Sausapor, and Wasior, West Papua. In 2014, the WWF-Indonesia Marine Program changed its name to the WWF-Indonesia Coral Triangle Program, prioritizing working areas in 3 seascapes, the Sulu-Sulawesi Sea Landscape, the Sunda Banda Marine Landscape and the Bird's Head Seascape.

In achieving the targets, WWF-Indonesia uses the Blue Economy approach and fosters partnerships with central government, local government, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), corporations, academics and the public (urban and local communities), to realize responsible utilization of marine resources and sustainable, and equitable welfare of the Indonesian people. Five programs of WWF-Indonesia Coral Triangle Program are:

Ongoing marine utilization, ecosystem maintenance, and conservation of habitats and species in priority sites in key landscape areas, including indigenous peoples' conservation areas and local communities, and high-value conservation areas; Good governance related to good ecosystem (water, food, energy) and prosperity with Blue Economy approach; Good management of key commodities for transformation of production and distribution systems that support sustainability; Changes in ethics or lifestyle become more environmentally friendly in order to achieve a reduction in carbon footprint; and economic transformation by strengthening the role of communities in the development of sustainable practices.

Until today, WWF-Indonesia has been involved in conservation activities in approximately 3.8 million hectares out of a total of 15.8 million hectares of Indonesia's Conservation Area. In the last few decades, WWF-Indonesia has supported the establishment of 735 thousand hectares of Indonesian Marine Conservation Area. In affecting the industrial sector, through the Seafood Savers scheme - a WWF-Indonesia initiative to support responsible and sustainable fisheries practices - 508.5 tons of seafood or 2.8 percent of total seafood production throughout Indonesia, is in the process of acquisition Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certificate - an independent institution that has its work program in developing standards for fisheries practices.

WWF-Indonesia's approach to the implementation of conservation programs has four major objectives includes:

1. Protection of coastal and marine areas as important areas of importance for endangered species and management of fish stocks within the Water Conservation Area and the Network of Conservation Areas in order to generate ecological, socio-economic and cultural benefits;
  2. Increased responsible fishery practices and fisheries management through developing partnerships with the private sector in implementing market-based incentive models and ecosystem-based approaches;
  3. Develop an effective monitoring and evaluation system to measure the biophysical and socio-economic changes that occur, and provide information on adaptive management for managers and decision makers;
  4. Effective collaboration and coordination with NGOs, governments, communities and academia to support the conservation of the Banda Sea Landscape.

The four long-term goals of conservation are very important to the region. This approach is consistent with the concept of Conservation Efforts which also includes the dependence of small island developing nations on healthy marine and coastal and sustainable use of marine resources, especially in the fisheries and tourism sectors. Basically, conservation effort is designed to promote human welfare, the sustainability of the world's wealth and natural resources for multi-stakeholder use; providing clean water, food, energy, and protecting people's livelihoods.

Your work at your organization:  I started my professional career with local non-government organization (NGO) named TERANGI as an GIS and spatial intern for more than three months. I am continuing my career with WWF Indonesia in 2015 as a marine spatial planning assistant in Marine Conservation Science Team. We are part of Coral Triangle Directorate focusing for marine and fisheries issues. In my team, we are working to support Marine Protected Area initiation in regional level. This study includes advanced spatial analysis, remote sensing analysis and spatial ecology analysis. The result of these studies produces science decision support for policy in regional level. We have done MPA design study in Maluku Tenggara Barat, Sulawesi Tenggara, Maluku Barat Daya, Kota Tual, and Wes Kalimantan. All of this design had been adopted as a regional regulation of MPA initiation from governor. Below maps of MPA Boundary in Maluku Province which includes in our research output.

Figure 1. Marine Protected Area in Maluku Province. WWF Indonesia has been working in 8 MPA in this area includes no (1) Pantai Peneluran Penyu Pulau Buru, (2) Buano Island,  (7) Teluk Sawai, (8) KKP Seram Bagian Timur, (11) Kur Tayando, TAM,  (13) KKPD Maluku Tenggara,  (16) KKP3K Pulau Kecil Yamdena and (17) Maluku Barat Daya

Figure 2. MPA Network study based on spatial analysis to support MPA Network policy in Maluku Province.

Besides the MPA initiative, we are responsible for all of science support. Along with my team, we do a big project to analysis a conservation gap in WWF -Indonesia. Land-seascape analysis with Conservation Science Unit WWF-Indonesia forest Team, we conduct a spatial analysis includes land and sea all of Indonesia. While in Sunda-Banda seascape level, we are working with University of Queensland to find a conservation priority gaps. This research was expected to give information and recommendation for policy makers and especially for WWF-Indonesia in forming an effective conservation strategy and area.

Figure 3. Conservation Gap analysis to support MPA initiation in SBS Seascape based on spatial analysis and larva connectivity analysis

In my third year in WWF Indonesia, I join a new project under USAID SEA Project working in East of

Indonesia. In this project, I am responsible for all of GIS work and all of related spatial support. In this project, I am focusing my work to collect data from baseline survey, participatory mapping, and aerial survey. This data then used to support MPA, Fisheries and tourism program in our project area. In second fiscal year, we are continuing our work to analyze the data for best design of MPA, Fisheries regulation and tourism regulation in our site area.

Another spatial work in our project is Marine Spatial Planning of West Papua. This program includes collecting dana, manage data and analyze the data for spatial space utilization and become a regional policy for marine utilization in West Papua Province.

*-HISTORY: I am classified as a new comer in conservation issue because conservation is not common as a research and study in my university. Join with TERANGI Foundation is my starting point as a conservation practitioner because I learned that my GIS can give beneficial contribution to conservation issue and community-related program. After that, I join with WWF Indonesia and this chance give me deeper to GIS Conservation because all my work is related to conservation issues. I became interest with conservation issue because GIS hold an important way to support conservation effort. Besides my personal passion grow and I want to be a part of people who want to safe earth, animal and environment.

It is very satisfying if our study and recommendation become a public policy, regulation and endorse by national/regional government and can encourage more people include in conservation effort. Now in my personal project, I am trying to introduce GIS in regional university in Maluku and West Papua and trying to

Local SCGIS work: I am not involved in local SCGIS chapter because I think there is no SCGIS community in my country. But I am very happy involved with local community especially GIS community working with conservation issues. Unfortunately, GIS community with conservation issues is not very common in my country. I have several friends who have a same passion working with GIS Conservation issues but not become a community. We are usually keep contact by whatsapp and talking about marine conservation issue in our country. In my personal project, I am starting to go to local university to introduce GIS and conservation and encourage the young student to do small research project with GIS technique. I have been involved with Pattimura University in Ambon and Papua University in West Papua. But we are now in our early project and still struggling to establish this community.

Local Community work: In my second year working with WWF, I involved deeply working with community by our new project to initiate marine protected area and marine spatial planning. I engaged with leaders of community and local government for training and discussing about conservation issue and GIS works. I use participatory mapping as a media to documenting community aspiration and compose the best recommendation conservation model in their area. Participatory mapping is our tools for transfer knowledge, strengthen communication among the stakeholder and community.

I have many experiences teaching GIS and related work to our partner and community. I am involved as a facilitator for increasing the capacity of local community in monitoring their customary forest for orangutan and other species key using android monitoring tools kit. This innovative approach has brought a positive social value to local community and strengthen their awareness for biodiversity protection.

What is the most challenging about the conservation/GIS work that you do?    Introducing GIS and conservation is a challenging because this issue is not commonly knowing by people. But technology of GIS grow fast with many people can access and GIS can be useful for public. Rapid growing of GIS technology had been applied in many sector of public likes transportation, online map, and decision support. Unfortunately, this technology known well in several cities with fluent internet access and good signal. Many places in Indonesia doesn’t has a good internet access and electricity so that only several public can use GIS technology. Conservation issues implemented in remote area which far from fluent internet signal and information technology. Because of that, implement application of GIS technology is quite challenging due to lack of internet and information access.

But talking about conservation is very easy if we can analyze and show it in GIS technology. Map is the easiest media talking about natural resources, strategy of conservation and sharing knowledge to local people about conservation issues. Local people is easier to understand if we can show the information by map. Because of that, participatory mapping is one of our favorite technique to work with GIS. From our several experiences, it is helpful if the participatory mapping can be go further with advanced technique and can be access with apps gadget but can be run in offline mode. 

Plan for the next year:  I will devote my focus towards with society and technology. I will involve with project to support spatial technology approach. I will try to analyze the spatio-temporal data of east Indonesia area related to recommendation of marine spatial planning in regional level. I will be focusing to solve spatial problem by deriving algorithms, programming and geoapps/software to find solution for complex problems. I believe that spatial knowledge will give more contribution for decision making of conservation issues.

Related to program involved in local SCGIS Chapter and conservation GIS Community, I have a vision to establish a smart community in east Indonesia especially in Papua. Papua had left behind in term of development and technology and very far from accessing information. It is a call for me applying hub approach that connect people and make the community more efficient to solve the problem around them. Start from youth community, I believe this initiative will bring a beneficial impact. I will dedicate my time to set up small community and getting involved with local academic event to open the networking, increases the amount of people directly involved and striving to be sustainable with this initiative.

For long term plan, I will focus to develop a local community and engaged with national government as a support for GIS and conservation issue in national scale. Focus in marine and conservation issue, together with NGO and government, we will develop more technical tools and research to enhance design of Marine Spatial Planning in national level and Marine Protected Area in regional and national level. In our organization, I will contribute for our Strategic Plan to ensure GIS program implement and has a safe budget in project area.

GIS work: I start learning GIS when I am in university in Geography Faculty. When I was graduated from university, I work with GIS enroll several GIS Workshops likes web GIS and Remote Sensing analysis. In my early career, I develop my skill in Web GIS and programming when I apply as an intern in TERANGI Foundation. The director of TERANGI, Mr.Safran give me lot of knowledge to increase my Web GIS and basic programming. Until today, Mr. Safran always be my mentor and together we regularly meet up to do small project related to Web GIS and GIS Project. In my free time, I usually enroll online course from web or other sources especially in course related to coding and Web GIS.   My networking in GIS Community help me a lot too. I always get an update of software, technique and others relevant issue in GIS in my GIS community. We usually keep contact by facebook group, whatsapp and mailing list. Sometimes when I found a problem in my analysis or GIS technique, I share my problem in group and the member always give a good respond to solve the problem.   Besides, I regularly attend national symposium, congress or others related education events to meet other GIS practitioners and academics. This event also gives big contribution to my GIS learning because I can share my experience and get a new learning. This event also gives me a chance to meet academics institution likes professor or lecture to discuss further about relevant issue in conservation and GIS project.

2018 Paper Title & Abstract:

“Incorporating social-cultural data and ecology data for Marine Protected Area Initiation in South Sorong, West Papua”

South Sorong located in West Papua Province has a high biodiversity with 76171 hectares of mangrove and as a nursery ground of fish with high economy values. But this ecosystem is under pressure and more degraded from over the function of land and extractive activity. Establish Marine Protected Area (MPA) is the solution to keep the function of ecosystem services in this area. Identification of MPA location, boundary and size is still challenging because a lot of local community and indigenous people live in this area. Customary law and local knowledge of community is one of the best data to design MPA and to ensure the customary right of local community was accommodate in MPA. We identified a lot of social-cultural data during participatory mapping and running spatial analysis combine with ecological and fisheries data. The result show that best location of MPA located in Yahadian District covers 141.772 hectare and Saifi District covers 13.556 hectare. This boundary of new MPA had accommodate customary law and local customary rights and protect 30% of primary mangrove, 30% of primary wet land and 40% of traditional fisheries.