Select to view content in your preferred language

Caterina Dimitriadis Pampin, Uruguay

04-17-2019 03:55 PM

Caterina "Cata" Dimitriadis Pampin 

Por La Pesca Artesanal (POPA),  Uruguay

SCGIS Scholar Profile            

2019 Profile:  Caterina is a participant in the first-ever SCGIS TTT Summit Meeting.

2019 International Conference Presentation

2016 Profile:   Caterina becomes an SCGIS TTT Trainer

(Photo above: Cata helps teach Advanced GIS Topics at TTT Workshop in Uruguay)

2016: Cata is accepted as TTT Candidate for the SCGIS 2016 Scholar Training Program in Uruguay.  Organized by Scgis Scholar and Chapter leader  Marianna Rios with funding from Esri, Juniper GIS and the Fulbright Foundation,  22 students were taught over a 2-week period in October 2016 at the University of the Republic – East Region University Center in Rocha, Uruguay.  TTT Candidate trainers were Diana Paredes  and Caterina Dimitriadis Pampin  (Photo below: Caterina (right) receives her official TTT Trainer Certification from John Schaeffer, Oct. 2016)

2016 Scholar Profile:d

*-Organization name: POPA POR LA PESCA ARTESANAL (POPA)
*-Organization full street address: Igua 4225, Malvin Norte. Montevideo, Uruguay.
*-Work phone with country and area code: (00598) 099940543
*-Work fax with country and area code:
*-Main email: porlapescaartesanal@gmail.com
*-Organization Web site URL if any: Youtube Channel

I started working on conservation in 2001, when I was an undergraduate student and I went to Puerto Madryn (Argentina) to the Patagonian National Center for Work, staying for 2 months in the Marine Mammal Laboratory directed by Dr. Enrique Crespo. During the stay I worked on the identification and cataloging of behavioral patterns of dusky dolphins (Lagenorhynchus obscurus) and skunk dolphin (Cephalorhynchus commersonii) both from ships and from cliffs. Also make practical photography and identification of individuals by markings on wings or colour. In 2002 along with other companions we began the first systematic study of the bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) to determine the presence, size and composition of the groups in the Uruguayan coast ocean.To unify projects related to marine mammals, Cetaceos Uruguay was created in 2004, and I was a founding member. The group's objective was to develop and promote research and conservation of marine mammals in Uruguay. With the support of the Faculty of Sciences (UDELAR), and with the support of national and regional researchers, working with different public institutions and NGOs were coordinated. Afterwards, I was co-director of the Franciscana project aimed to assess by-catch of Pontoporia blainvilei in artisanal fisheries of the Uruguayan coast. Based on this project the values of Catch Per Unit Effort (CPUE) of this fishery were actualized and we evaluated the main variables that influenced dolphin mortality. This information is essential for implementing management and conservation measures at national and regional levels. Since the master I began to work with fish reproduction studies where I participated in the project Analysis of the reproductive ecology of Helicolenusdactylopterus in the Iberian platform. In this project the population structure of the species was analysed in five areas of the Iberian coast with different environmental characteristics and fishing pressure. In the doctoral thesis, I dfocused on the implementation of the ecosystemapproach to fisheries management (EAFM) in multi-specific small-scale fisheries in the north-western Mediterranean. In the thesis, I evaluated how to maximize the use of information from the fishermen guild of the port of Palamós, considering fisheries as a socioeconomic unit (systemic approach) but also to different ecosystem components representing different levels evaluated the hierarchy of biological organization (individual species and communities). In the thesis, I applied GIS to assess the spatial and temporal dynamics of the fishery and the impact of the fishery on vulnerable species of commercial interest. Using Arcmap 9.1 I mapped the fishing effort and the CPUE by gear for six hermaphrodites fish species. Unfortunately I was not able to perform statistical analyzes due to the characteristics of the data.

describe what is the most unique and the most challenging about the conservation/GIS work that you do: I'm not sure my work is unique but I know that working with fishermen is very difficult because it requires a long time to gain their trust and establish a horizontal relationship. 
For 10 years I work with artisanal fishermen covering various aspects of the fishery. It's really a great challenge to work with people who have deep traditional knowledge of the fishery and its environment but lack training and have access to methodological tools to answer your questions. It is essential that researchers and fishermen work together for good quality data that allow for adequate and accurate analysis. For this, it is essential that fishermen cooperate and participate in each phase of the process. I considered that the fishermen knowledge should be considered in the management measures and conservations plans. Therefore, I believe that much of what we know about marine conservation and coastal environment I have learned at the sea with fishermen.

dYOUR ORGANIZATION: The POPA Group, formed in 2011, brings together people with very different experiences and realities, but with acommon interest: the artisanal fisheries. POPA is a non-for profit organization focused on participatory approaches to improve artisanal fisheries regarding catch, incomes, governance, livelihoods and impact, being the participation of its members entirely voluntary. POPA has a "power unit" that makes decisions for the development of various projects and activities, in order to meet the objectives of the collective. In the long term goals of the group are: i) find strategies that contribute tosustainable fishing; ii) promote direct marketing of fish catch for artisanal fisheries and improve their quality; and iii) contribute to improving the quality of life of those who chose to live to the artisanal fisheries. It iscurrently carrying out a project to mitigate the impact of interactions between sea lions and artisanal fisheries. For this, we are evaluating the use of traps as an alternative fishing gear.
POPA’s work is based on monthly workshops where we discuss and agree decisions and define working groups to move forward the various projects we are involved. Each member brings to the group his/her own personal interests and experience and a discipline background. As part of the group I bring my background in biology, fisheries management and my previous work with fishermen both in Uruguay and Spain. Besides participating in the workshops, I collaborate in two working groups (restaurants and methodology). The subgroup of restaurants is focused on improving the direct marketing of fish catch to traps. In the subgroup of methodology, we define sampling design, type of data to be collected and analysis of data.

2016 Scgis Conference Presentation:

Presentation -pdf d
d

Video -mp4 
d

ABSTRACT

The common pandora, Pagellus erythrinus (Linnaeus, 1758), a high-value species, which landings have been declining since the 90´s becoming overexploited in several European fisheries. Although it shows a hermaphrodite reproductive strategy, in Spain, the management of the common pandora is currently based only on legal sizes; being the minimum legal catch size smaller than the mean size at sexual maturity of females. Thus, current managerial scheme may not be appropriate as it could lead to a decrease in the female ratio of the population and a change in the maturation patter as response to the pressure due to the fishing activity. GIS tools play a priority role supporting scientific advice in the development of a sustainable marine management of the fishery through specific actions such as the identification of potential interaction zones between the fishing activity and the vulnerable life stages of the population (i.e. fish of smaller size) and the understanding of the spatial pattern of the species (i.e. development of prediction models to identify potential closure areas by season).

xMarine  xMammal  xFisheries   xFish  xUruguay  xLatinAmerica  xLatinx  x2019TTT   x2016TTT    x2016Talk   x2016Scholar  xScholar  xTalk  xTTT2016-Present 

Version history
Last update:
‎04-17-2019 03:55 PM
Updated by:
Anonymous User
Contributors