Select to view content in your preferred language

Allow attaching a mobile geodatabase as a file in Esri Community posts and messages

01-17-2024 07:59 PM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Esteemed Contributor

I often need to attach mobile geodatabase data to ideas, questions, or private messages to Esri staff (such as @SSWoodward) for testing purposes. But .geodatabase mobile GDB files are not allowed.

Bud_0-1705555808472.png

The file type (.geodatabase) is not supported. Valid file types are: jpg, gif, png, pdf, 
xlsx, docx, pptx, txt, log, csv, mp3, mp4, avi, har, Mxd, Mpk, Lpk, 3dd, Sxd, Lyr, gpk,
aprx, ppkx, mpkx, lpkx, mmpk, mspk, lyrx, gpkx, gcpk, pagx, rpk, .esriTasks, zip, .stylx,
stylx, AIX.

I would need to zip the file which is seen as a security risk by people who would want to download the file.

Please add the .geodatabase file extension to the list of approved file types. (also: .SQLite, .sql, .doc, and .xls)

Thanks.

16 Comments
SimiBasu

Hi @Bud  Upon further testing and discussions an internal ticket with the platform engineering team has been raised. We were able to reproduce the issue in our internal test environments as well. Currently, this has been identified as a bug. Unfortunately, we don't have an ETA for the fix yet. Will keep you posted with updates.

@JesseCloutier FYI

Bud
by

FYI - There seems to be a problem with attaching mobile geodatabases, too:

From @HusseinNasser2 (Esri staff) in https://community.esri.com/t5/attribute-rules-blog/how-to-toggle-constraint-and-calculation-attribut... 

...I just tried to upload a row mobilegdb but got an error (content type octet stream doesn't match file extension .geodatabase), the change might take time to fully propagate

@JesseCloutier and @SimiBasu, should this idea be changed from Implemented to Open?

Bud
by

@JesseCloutier 

Please note that Esri Community is engaging our IST team to perform an audit of our full list of enabled file types in order to ensure they meet Esri's standards and best practices for this environment. While we don't yet know the outcome of that audit, it is possible that some of the available file types will be removed.

You might be interested in this list of ArcGIS Online supported filetypes: Items you add to ArcGIS Online

SimiBasu

Thank you @Bud for the list and additional information. I will review this with the Architecture team. The status of the Idea has been changed from Implemented to Open. Thanks.

Bud
by

I'm still getting an error when I try to attach a mobile geodatabase to a Esri Community Question post:

Bud_0-1724685562224.png

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/for-each-point-get-value-from-intersecting-polygo... 

Edit: The mobile geodatabase was empty when I downloaded it and unzipped it. So I replaced it with a zipped file geodatabase.

SimiBasu

Hi @Bud 

I got a chance to discuss this with support teams and any file extension
that is currently blocked by the mime type check means either it's not
officially supported by the Tika library or the mime type is wrong.
Creating a patch to bypass the check would mean potential security risks.

The team is analyzing these risks and are yet to rule on the inclusion of
file extensions that are not officially supported by the Tika library . I'll keep checking internally and will confirm once we reach a decision.

For now I'll need a sample file for the extensions that we need
to create a patch for. From my tests, they are .sqlite, .gdb and
.geodatabase. 

Are you able to please send a sample for the three extensions mentioned above and I'll work
with our teams to make a patch to test these extension types as next steps. Looking forward
to hearing from you soon.

@JesseCloutier FYI