Time stamps and feed sorting

11-16-2020 12:58 PM
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I've noticed that the Sort By Latest option sorts the discussions by the time stamp of when the discussion was started.

time.png

Although this will prevent a flood of "updates" that would plague the old system whenever minor changes were made to a bunch of discussions (like moving them to a different community), I fear this will mean that ongoing discussions will get lost to anyone who isn't getting notifications on the discussion. Is there a way to sort by latest activity? And could this be tweaked so it would just include responses and not other activities such as moving to a new community or getting a kudos?

Another question on the time stamps. These are displayed as Relative dates (three hours ago) or Absolute dates (11-15-1966). Choosing Absolute just gives the date, not the time. Having the time along with the date was helping in seeing where I left off on reading content (since there doesn't seem to be a way of marking everything as read every few hours)

1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Ken for the thoughts on this experience. 

Here is some information on how the Latest Activity feeds work:

1. Sort by Latest - this always sorts by original post creation date. The post should always appear in the same place in the feed regardless of activity. 
  2. Dates next to post - this relative date displays either the original creation date of the post if it has no comments or updates to the date of the latest reply. Kudos and views is not considered a data point for this date information just replies/comments.
  3. Relative date vs absolute - you are correct that absolute does not contain the time stamp also which I agree would be a useful additional piece of info so we can request this functionality. Unfortunately there is no setting right now to just switch that time info on. 
  4. Sort by latest activity - this is a great suggestion and I am adding this alongside our other plans for enhancing the sort/filter options on feeds e.g. Sort by no replies. I'll add this to our requested enhancements list. 

Thanks again and keep the feedback coming!

0 Kudos