Links to posts on Esri Community just lead to homepage

Jump to solution
07-19-2021 12:53 PM
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Has anyone else had this issue? It happens all the time with the new Esri Community site (compared to the old Geonet) where if I click on a link to a particular thread, it always just directs me to the homepage the first time. I most often access these links through a Google search. Often, going back and clicking on the link again will direct me to the proper post, but occasionally it will take multiple attempts.

Is this a known issue and is there anything I can possibly do to correct it? Thanks!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I also wanted to add to Dan's response that we have typically seen this behavior if you are not already logged into your Community account but are logged into your ArcGIS Online account in another Esri site/app. When you click on a link from anywhere it will first authenticate with your existing token via Esri Accounts and this workflow redirects to the Home Page. This is why first time it goes to the Home page but when you go back to the source link it often works second time, as your authentication has been completed. 

Coincidentally we have a enhancement request into our Support team which we are hoping to have implemented in the next few weeks which will update that workflow. Our plan is that whatever link you click from outside the community will be stored and once your authentication is completed will redirect you to the original stored url. 

I'll provide an update when this has been addressed. 

View solution in original post

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Confirming that a fix for this issue was deployed overnight to our site. We will continue to test and monitor the experience. Please let me know if you continue to see the original issue or new issues around this when clicking links from emails or search. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Katherine, it happens most often with google links to archived threads.

If the threads are from the Community time period, and GeoNet, it is often better to just search the Community itself, particularly for links that are community specific, like Python, or ArcGIS Pro.  The keyword searching is getting better ( I suspect it is "learning" as it goes) and often the "Related" threads to the right of a question are a good place to start.

I gave up on googling for threads that are more than a year or two old

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Interesting, but good to know I'm not the only one who experienced it! I'll start using the site search function more often, then. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I also wanted to add to Dan's response that we have typically seen this behavior if you are not already logged into your Community account but are logged into your ArcGIS Online account in another Esri site/app. When you click on a link from anywhere it will first authenticate with your existing token via Esri Accounts and this workflow redirects to the Home Page. This is why first time it goes to the Home page but when you go back to the source link it often works second time, as your authentication has been completed. 

Coincidentally we have a enhancement request into our Support team which we are hoping to have implemented in the next few weeks which will update that workflow. Our plan is that whatever link you click from outside the community will be stored and once your authentication is completed will redirect you to the original stored url. 

I'll provide an update when this has been addressed. 

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Thank you, Louise!

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just looping back on this issue which I've also added to our Known Issues and Future Enhancements tracker. We have this fixed in our lower tier environment and are hoping to have this deployed to the site within the next couple of weeks. I'll loop back again once it's been deployed to see if that fixes the issues experienced for you. 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Confirming that a fix for this issue was deployed overnight to our site. We will continue to test and monitor the experience. Please let me know if you continue to see the original issue or new issues around this when clicking links from emails or search.