Can we have a GeoNet Dark-Mode? Or change graphical display settings

Jump to solution
11-12-2020 10:47 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can we please have the ability to enable dark-mode for this website?

There's a relatively low contrast between the text and background making it difficult to read at times.

🐕🐶 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion. We love this idea too so much so that we submitted this Idea to our vendor partner and asked for it to be considered as a feature of the product. Watch this space for future updates. 

Regarding accessibility we definitely have this on our list for What's Next as we continue to review and improve the User Interface and Experience. 

We hope you enjoy the other features of our new community and please share any further suggestions for improvement. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
FraserWaters
Esri Contributor

When i run the WAVE tool for A11y issues, contrast isn't actually mentioned, but i agree some of the items that are grey on grey such as the 'Hint' are not great.
Screenshot 2020-11-13 at 09.09.13.png

Tags (2)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm mostly after a dark mode out of aesthetics and eye strain, don't have any colourblindness issues.

Took a quick look before posting at WACG compliance. Taking a screen snip and putting the image gave a red flag for contrast. Not across what the result inferred or if the method was valid... I assume the platform is up to speed with these things, so we can consider this to be a purely aesthetic request.

Thanks for the analysis and support!

FraserWaters
Esri Contributor

Hi @Anonymous User 

I have used this Firefox plugin before, it's pretty good and might give you what you need in the interim.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/darkreader/

Cheers...Fraser

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion. We love this idea too so much so that we submitted this Idea to our vendor partner and asked for it to be considered as a feature of the product. Watch this space for future updates. 

Regarding accessibility we definitely have this on our list for What's Next as we continue to review and improve the User Interface and Experience. 

We hope you enjoy the other features of our new community and please share any further suggestions for improvement. 

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Do we have a status update on this suggestion?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

There has been some progress on this with our vendor. Dark mode is being built in as a standard feature into the next version of the platform due for release mid-2022. We'll have to do some work to then incorporate that into our site so we are potentially looking at late 2022 for this to be available. 

We'd love to have this available sooner but certain constraints make waiting for the standard feature in 2022 the most practical solution for now. If anything changes and we can bring this sooner then we'll let you know.