Street Light Layers

12-15-2015 12:40 PM
TimothyLiddell
New Contributor II

Recently I have been assigned to work on a street light layer for the town I am interning for. The town planner office received a spread sheet from a electrical company that has most of the data. This data lacks accuracy compared to the GIS data attribute table for the street light layer.

Throughout my internship, I have looked at other examples of street light layers and have wondered how the towns had accomplished their layers. When I try to join data, the transaction becomes difficult because the data does not cross over with accuracy. There become many "nulls" and I am left to try again.

Currently we are considering marking down each individual light in question and returning to GIS to remake the map.

My question is, have any of you worked on a layer similar to what I am talking about? If so, how did you accomplish this layer so that the layer was accurate enough to depict the street lights in your local municipality?

If you have any tips, I would very much appreciate them.

Thank you,

T.Liddell

10 Replies
PrevinWong1
Esri Contributor

Since you are having issues working with the spreadsheet data, I would try and ask to see if there is an upstream source for that excel.  As others mentioned, it might have come from CAD or some other system like Smallworld.  For example if it came from a DWG file, you could get the source DWG, georeference it, then extract data in ArcMap.

0 Kudos