Smart Map Search question

02-14-2014 01:03 PM
AllenRisley
Occasional Contributor II
Is there a way to use Smart Map Search results as a geography/polygon that can be selected for other reports?

Example:  I have used SMS to identify 20 zip codes in my county, based on median income, median age and median household size.  Now I want to know how many people live in those zip codes and what % of them have a bachelor's degree.

Can this be done?

Thanks,

Allen Risley
GIS Instructional Support
Cal State University San Marcos
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
Is there a way to use Smart Map Search results as a geography/polygon that can be selected for other reports?

Example:  I have used SMS to identify 20 zip codes in my county, based on median income, median age and median household size.  Now I want to know how many people live in those zip codes and what % of them have a bachelor's degree.

Can this be done?

Thanks,

Allen Risley
GIS Instructional Support
Cal State University San Marcos

Allen,

Can you let me know if you are working with the legacy BAO (http://bao.esri.com) or the new BAO (http://bao.arcgis.com)?

Regards,
Jason R.
0 Kudos
AllenRisley
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Jason,

This was with the new version of BAO.

Allen
0 Kudos
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
Allen,

After you have created the Smart Map Search you can then go back to Define Areas for Report>Select Geographies>Zip Codes and pick them from a map.  I attached screen shot that illustrates this.  One thing I did notice with this method is that it will combine all the zip codes into one polygon.  Unfortunately the option to create individual zip codes is grayed out (not sure why on that) so any reports run will be a summary of all the zip codes.  Since there is a list of zip codes from SMS one could just manually select from a list.

The percentage bachelor is tougher.  One could use comparison reports to dump out specific variables but it won't be percentages.  Actually one can create zip code color coded map and select the option to be the zip codes inside of a zip code study area and then toggle to the percent sign.  One can then create map or export the Excel data out.

Regards,
Jason R.

Edit: Looks like my screen shot is too large to be accepted.
0 Kudos