Select to view content in your preferred language

Cartographic Techniques for Symbolizing Many Dozens of Unique Retail Chains

03-26-2024 09:00 AM
Labels (1)
Derek_Hunter_Macys
New Contributor

Hello all. We are trying to determine an efficient and aesthetic way of symbolizing retail chains in which we have dozens of unique chains, in addition to our store locations, and this is cumbersome. We are currently using the first letter of the chain name within a circle, but users are confused by that and they don't want to have to click on point to view the popup. They are reluctant as well to take the time to open the Legend. Some may only use this once a week or monthly, so its hard for them to recall what symbol represents what chain. Generally, the map is used for visual reference only and placement of the same in PPTs, etc. We don't want to use the actual chain's public logo as that is nearly impossible to render properly due to pixelation, size of the logo text or image, etc. Below are examples. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Derek_Hunter_Macys_0-1711468223202.jpegDerek_Hunter_Macys_1-1711468486506.jpeg

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MErikReedAugusta
Occasional Contributor III

I think part of the problem especially with that first column is that the color distinguishing multiple similar letters seems too arbitrary.

Warby Parker, West Elm, and Williams-Sonoma are essentially all symbolized by a blue 'W'.  Which blue?  Who can remember?

I would recommend rethinking your aversion to the logos & brandmarks.  Good brandmarks are specifically designed to be legible at all sorts of sizes & resolutions, and if one of the companies above has one, then I would strongly recommend using it if you can.

For when/if that's not an option, though, I'd start with the intent of each business and work your way out.  Why is this one symbol even on the map?  What is it trying to convey?  Can you use that information to group things together logically?

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Perhaps approach this like a mall directory map- use colors / shapes to imply the type of business (squares = places to eat, circles = clothing stores, triangles = electronic goods, etc) and then perhaps using a first letter for the store name.

0 Kudos
Derek_Hunter_Macys
New Contributor

Good idea, we are trying that as well as trying to create some with a slight halo using the company's current logo

0 Kudos