Egnyte Cloud Services and ArcGIS Desktop

Jump to solution
10-08-2020 12:29 AM
JohnPapageorgiou
New Contributor III

Our company will be migrating all of our files/data/applications from our aging on premises servers to Egnyte cloud services.  Does anyone have any experience with integrating these products?  Any recommendations? Some pros and cons in moving in this direction would be helpful as well.  We do not have ArcGIS enterprise, just several ArcGIS desktop and Pro licenses and an ArcGIS online Organizational account.  I'm interested in Egnyte Cloud Services specifically because we have already invested in it.  Any feedback is welcome.

thank you,

John

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AaronDorsey1
New Contributor III

We have been using Egnyte Connect with ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Desktop for about 8 months. I am not a fan. It is nearly intolerable dealing with file geodatabases and forget about raster datasets. My team has resorted to copying projects locally. 

It clearly states mdb files (old but still very common) are not supported. And since file geodatabases are made up of many small files corruption and errors when running geoprocessing tools are common.

Note

Adding large numbers of small files may take longer than expected due to the overhead of processing files for upload.

Unsupported Characters and File Types – Egnyte 

EXP Now Offers Egnyte Cloud Storage - EXP Technical 

This system may work well for on-prem systems and for simple documents and images, but anything other than that I do not recommend. There is an offline folders option (I assume Dropbox-like) but our IT department has it disabled.

I would be interested in your experience.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AaronDorsey1
New Contributor III

We have been using Egnyte Connect with ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Desktop for about 8 months. I am not a fan. It is nearly intolerable dealing with file geodatabases and forget about raster datasets. My team has resorted to copying projects locally. 

It clearly states mdb files (old but still very common) are not supported. And since file geodatabases are made up of many small files corruption and errors when running geoprocessing tools are common.

Note

Adding large numbers of small files may take longer than expected due to the overhead of processing files for upload.

Unsupported Characters and File Types – Egnyte 

EXP Now Offers Egnyte Cloud Storage - EXP Technical 

This system may work well for on-prem systems and for simple documents and images, but anything other than that I do not recommend. There is an offline folders option (I assume Dropbox-like) but our IT department has it disabled.

I would be interested in your experience.

JohnPapageorgiou
New Contributor III

Hi Aaron,

Since implementing this a couple of weeks ago, we have run into some of the same issues you described.  So far we have had issues with file geodatabases getting corrupted or data disappearing.  Access mdb files seem to be fine for now but we'll see how that goes.  We haven't tried anything with raster files yet.  We ended up moving most of our non-GIS files to Egnyte and kept the bulk of our GIS data on premises.  When testing this out a few months ago, I recall loading large feature classes from Egnyte into an mxd took a very long time, if the feature class ended up loading at all.  For now we are staying with a hybrid system until we find a better solution.  Thank you very much for your response, this is very helpful information.  

thanks,

John 

0 Kudos
AliceMorel
New Contributor

Hi Aaron! Curious to know what has changed for you since late 2020. Still on Egnyte and using it for ESRI products or not? Any other info you could share with us? We are interested in becoming Egnyte customers. We are currently using Panzura. 

@JohnPapageorgiou What about you? any information or feedback you could share with us as well even though these posts are very old?

0 Kudos
RowenaFairbrooke
New Contributor

Exciting to hear about your move to Egnyte cloud services! For seamless integration and expert guidance, consider engaging MSP Columbus, your trusted managed service provider Columbus Ohio. Their IT Managed Services can optimize the transition, offering tailored solutions for your specific needs. Explore their website for insights on leveraging cloud services for business success. Feel free to reach out for personalized recommendations and a smooth migration experience.

0 Kudos