Select to view content in your preferred language

Video autoplay in Journal

Jump to solution
10-09-2017 06:49 PM
MilaAlvarez
New Contributor III

I have inserted two videos in the Main stage of a Journal story map (each one in different sections of the story, 1st page and 5th page). When I open the story map, the first video starts playing, but you can also hear the music of the second video in the 5th page. Both videos have music. And both videos are set up as autoplay, using this code:

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Nw96w49E2Ac?rel=0&autoplay=1;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Any advice on how to avoid hearing both videos when I fist start the story?

Thank you!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Mila -- We strongly advise against autoplaying videos with sound as that is not a best practice for web design and is something that is almost universally disliked. In fact, web browsers are starting to block autoplaying videos with sound. Just check out the titles of the results for a web search for "browser autoplay with sound."

When you do add video with sound to Map Journal (hopefully without autoplay 😉 ) and need to use URL parameters to hide related videos or set the start time you'll need to add the video as a web page. In this case should use the option to "unload when reader navigates away" so that the sound for a video doesn't keep playing when readers move to a different section.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Mila,

Since you have multiple threads of the same exact question, I would suggest that you delete the ones you have posted in the GeoNet Help space. It will help clear up clutter and confusion. To reiterate what I said in the former thread:

Can you share your story map here? What are the sources of the videos (are thy both youtube)? Is your story map hosted or in the cloud? 

The reason why I ask about what your video sources are is because I had a similar issue with this regarding a twitter video that I tried to embed into my story map once and it did the annoying autoplay thing too. I eventually just gave up with it and got rid of the video.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Mila -- We strongly advise against autoplaying videos with sound as that is not a best practice for web design and is something that is almost universally disliked. In fact, web browsers are starting to block autoplaying videos with sound. Just check out the titles of the results for a web search for "browser autoplay with sound."

When you do add video with sound to Map Journal (hopefully without autoplay 😉 ) and need to use URL parameters to hide related videos or set the start time you'll need to add the video as a web page. In this case should use the option to "unload when reader navigates away" so that the sound for a video doesn't keep playing when readers move to a different section.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
MilaAlvarez
New Contributor III

Thank you for your reply Owen,

I guess the best alternative would be to remove autoplay in both videos.

0 Kudos
MilaAlvarez
New Contributor III

Hi Owen,

Could you help me with this other question. No one has replied it. Thank you!

https://community.esri.com/thread/205584-story-map-cascade-maps-do-not-show 

0 Kudos