Shortlist - "As is" All features tab

Jump to solution
08-25-2017 03:48 PM
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

I am looking for a way to have all my features show up in a tab and then have them also broken into separate tabs. 

I am using version 2.3.3 and "as-is" mode. I could do this if it allowed multiple layers. 

The only work around is to have a copy of the data with a different tab name. This will not work well since that would require the user to update data twice. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

To create a Shortlist with the ''As-Is" workflow so your Shortlist automatically reflects the data in a layer in a web map, you'd make a layer of point data that matches the Shortlist data schema (see FAQ about this), either a new dataset, or by adding fields to an existing dataset. To include an "All" tab in your Shortlist you would have to duplicate all the records in your layer and set the TAB_NAME field to "All" for all the duplicated places. So it isn't ideal because you'd have two records in your layer for each place instead of one. But the aim of the "As-Is" options is to let you incorporate GIS and database-driven workflows. So you may be able to automate this via scripting in Desktop so that your set of places gets copied to a new feature class, massaged to create the layer you'll be using in the web map, and then published. So from your GIS layer of CIPs in which updates are made, you could automatically generate another layer which assembles the data that will drive your Shortlist, including the duplication needed to get the desired "All" tab.  In this way, the duplication wouldn't be seen in the original layer in which you do the actual data maintenance.

Rupert

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Rickey

We don't provide an automatic way in the Story Map Shortlist to provide an 'All' tab (a tab that collects together and presents all the features shown in the various other separate tabs in the Shortlist. Authors can add an "All" tab by adding an additional point layer into their web map before creating their Shortlist from it (if you 'Import" those places when you create your Shortlist) or by duplicating the data (if they are using the "As-Is" option when they create their Shortlist from a web map, or if they are adding the places interactively in the Shortlist Builder). Shortlist 'As-Is' only supports a single layer as input.

We don't make it easy to provide an All tab because we don't really recommend adding that into a Shortlist. The aim of the Shortlist app is really to make it easy to browse large sets of places easily by dividing them up into different tabs that users can easily switch between to explore the locations. Having an additional tab with everything sort of works against that design, and can present your users with quite a cluttered (and possibly slower drawing) map especially if you have a lot of places. So we recommend the 'less is more' approach and keeping your Shortlist simple, with each tab showing a specific set of places.

If you do still want to add an All tab, and quite a few authors can't resist adding one , I'd recommend, not making it be the first tab in your Shortlist but instead making it the last tab. In this way your users don't see the most busy tab in your story immediately, and it appears to them as something they can choose after they've browsed each set of places as a convenience if they want to see everything together.

Rupert

RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

ressinger-esristaff

Thank you for the reply. I work for a local government and we have decided that Shortlist would be the best option for conveying to our public about future Capital Improvement projects. 

The job now falls to me to configure and get the shortlist up and running how requested.

An all tab is on the list of things to have. We also want to be able to update the list dynamically since project dates and closures change frequently. "As-is" seems to be the only way to have a dynamic layer with shortlist. 

You say a few authors have this. Could you inform me on how to make this happen? 

Thank you

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

To create a Shortlist with the ''As-Is" workflow so your Shortlist automatically reflects the data in a layer in a web map, you'd make a layer of point data that matches the Shortlist data schema (see FAQ about this), either a new dataset, or by adding fields to an existing dataset. To include an "All" tab in your Shortlist you would have to duplicate all the records in your layer and set the TAB_NAME field to "All" for all the duplicated places. So it isn't ideal because you'd have two records in your layer for each place instead of one. But the aim of the "As-Is" options is to let you incorporate GIS and database-driven workflows. So you may be able to automate this via scripting in Desktop so that your set of places gets copied to a new feature class, massaged to create the layer you'll be using in the web map, and then published. So from your GIS layer of CIPs in which updates are made, you could automatically generate another layer which assembles the data that will drive your Shortlist, including the duplication needed to get the desired "All" tab.  In this way, the duplication wouldn't be seen in the original layer in which you do the actual data maintenance.

Rupert

RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Rupert Essinger‌   I believe we can do that. Thank you

RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Another approach would be to use Story Map Series instead, with a tab for each map (each tab can show the same map with different layers turned on or off, or a different map). This is more flexible than Shortlist for displaying project locations, and it is easy to create an All tab. For example see:

http://poway.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=83e385ee1d874990891bbb8b60d12583 

See also:
https://chesterfieldva.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=2645af4399b6457695ce7b1af203e... 

Rupert

RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

This is a good alternative I will present these too.

Thank you

0 Kudos