Select to view content in your preferred language

Map Journal Customization examples

06-09-2016 06:39 AM
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Hey everybody,

recently I have created a heavily customized Map Journal story map and figured I share it with the community so they can extract whatever code they would like to use in their story map.

Here is a list of customization:

- You are able to click on any feature in the overview map and it will take you to the section where this place is featured

- I added a google streetview button to each section map

- I added a basemap switch button to each section

- Some of the sections play audio specific to the section

- A playlist of all the audio used

- A mute button

- Use a custom font that you have downloaded and hosted

Eventually I will write a series of blog post talking about each feature and how you can implement it in your story map.

Here is the link: Impressions de France

Let me know what you think

Tim

10 Replies
AshleyIgnatius
Deactivated User

I think this is great! Really looking forward to learning how to incorporate the Street View and Switch to Aerial buttons!

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Tim,

Again, that is a fantastic map. It took me a second to find the speaker/volume button thing. But I really like the customizations, plus it is an interesting topic. I love the font.

It looks like the streetview icon slightly sits on the zoom out icon:

Also, there is a blank icon under the wiki link on the side panel, plus the wiki link isn't opening for me (it spins the mouse ears):

I am not trying to be overly critical it's just that I know sometimes I don't see things on my own end without sending it off to others (I'm somewhat thinking that you are able to see the image under the wiki link on your end, etc.).

Great work!

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

What browser are you using? It is weird I opened it up in IE, Firefox and Google Chrome but all looks fine.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Oh interesting. I'm using Google Chrome - Version 51.0.2704.84 m

It works fine in Firefox (the wiki images take a little bit of time to load).

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

That is the google chrome version I am using. Got to love programming.

Yes the app is picture heavy, sadly that makes it a bit slower

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II

Nice work Tim,

I particularly like your subtle basemap toggle control in the maps.

For some more Map Journal customizations, choose that app in the Story Maps Gallery and also Format>Customized, or click this link to launch the Gallery with those options already set:
http://storymaps.arcgis.com/en/gallery/#s=0&md=storymaps-format:customized_storymaps-apps:map-journa...

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Thanks Rupert, I'll have to submit my app to the gallery

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II

Yes please do. As it is a self-hosted app, you'll need to manually add a web mapping application entry into ArcGIS Online via My Content  > Add Item > An Application > Web Mapping. Add a thumbnail and nice summary, description and tags. Then submit the URL to that entry (not the URL of the app itself) via: Gallery Submission | Story Maps

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

I just did this, you should see it soon!

0 Kudos