Select to view content in your preferred language

Locate Button on maps in the Map Journal?

Jump to solution
06-08-2015 09:06 AM
KateNewell
Deactivated User

Is it possible to easily incorporate a Locate Button on maps in the Map Journal?  I only see options for showing Legend and Overview map in the configuration.

I would really like this Bellingham, WA History Tour to be usable in the field, but without the Locate Button, will be a bit less user-friendly.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GregoryL_Azou
Deactivated User

It's not without customization. As you may know Map Tour is what we recommend for placed based narrative, which is why Map Journal doesn't have this option.

That being said your app is really impressive, so I understand well that you try to fit multiple use with the same app.

The good news for you is that the application is almost ready for that. It's just that the option hadn't been made available in the UI. You can turn it on by modyfing this line of code map-journal-storytelling-template-js/WebApplicationData.js at b6f8246d74753e2f496a33351608bec3ab0834... (return true) and follow the developer guide Esri/map-journal-storytelling-template-js · GitHub

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Deactivated User

It's not without customization. As you may know Map Tour is what we recommend for placed based narrative, which is why Map Journal doesn't have this option.

That being said your app is really impressive, so I understand well that you try to fit multiple use with the same app.

The good news for you is that the application is almost ready for that. It's just that the option hadn't been made available in the UI. You can turn it on by modyfing this line of code map-journal-storytelling-template-js/WebApplicationData.js at b6f8246d74753e2f496a33351608bec3ab0834... (return true) and follow the developer guide Esri/map-journal-storytelling-template-js · GitHub

0 Kudos
KateNewell
Deactivated User

Thanks Gregory!

Yes, we are soon to be releasing an audio/field version of the tour that is based on the Map Tour template.  The Map Journal History Tour was/is meant to be taken from tablet/desktop at leisure, as it is so rich in information...however I noticed when one of our local non-profits "tweeted" about the map journal, that a lot of people might enter the map journal from a smart phone (viewing it in "mobile view"), and I am brainstorming if in fact the map journal could be used for our field tour (we could add in the audio control to the map journal) instead of having the two applications...I am impressed with how well the Map Journal does function from a smart device!

Thanks for your help

-Kate

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Deactivated User

You are welcome and thanks for the encouragement.

Thanks for sharing, this is a very cool use case, looking forward to see what you ends up with!

0 Kudos