Journal help - 852 images disappeared!

Jump to solution
10-19-2018 08:35 PM
StephanieWillis
New Contributor II

Desperately need help!

So I have 426 postcards that have front and back images that are organized into folders on my computer by decades.  I built a Story Map Journal, added all the photos to separate albums one decade at a time to Flickr, then on to the Journal.  The problem is these historical postcards are not all mine and while I have permission to put them into the map and share publicly there, I didn't want them floating out there on Flickr because people were already liking/sharing my photos since they had to be public to connect to the Story Map.  So I deleted the photos from Flickr and didn't know that was a problem (thought they were saved to my map!) and they just randomly disappeared a couple weeks after I deleted them from Flickr. 

So how do I redo this map faster?  I'm on a serious dissertation deadline!
Can I add multiple images at once somehow? 
How do I make sure I can share the map (once it's done) publicly, but not beforehand?
Is the volume of these postcard images (852) a problem?  I belong to my university's AGO and have extra credits, but honestly I don't know what that means here!

TIA for ANY help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II

Hi Stephanie

Sorry about the issue. It's not really clear in our builder interface but when you use images from Flickr or Google Plus they are referenced from the Story Map, not imported into the Story Map. So if the images are deleted from Flickr or unshared, they won't be available in the Story Map. Accessing pictures from Flickr or Google Plus is really intended to be used when you or someone else are already publicly sharing images via those systems and you want to also include them in a Story Map.

You could upload your images directly into the Story Map Journal builder, which is the easiest way to work with images.

Alternatively you could put them onto a web server and reference them directly via URLs. That can be a good solution if you have a large number of image you want to work with because you can manage them yourself. For example I have 200+ images of San Diego that I use in various Story Maps so managing them on a web server works well because I can reference them via URLs from multiple stories instead of uploading them into each story. The tricky part with doing that, assuming you can get access to a web server or website to put them on, is ensuring that they aren't too large. Unlike accessing pics in Flickr or uploading them, Story Maps don't optimize images you reference via URLs, so you have to be aware of the size recommendations, and if your images are too large to start with it can be a pain to resize them. If you are making a Shortlist or a Map Tour though, referencing your images via URLs is really useful because you can include those URLs in a spreadsheet that you use to author those stories. (Shortlist and Map Tour are place-driven, so they let you define your places in a spreadsheet and generate the Story Map from that spreadsheet.

Hope that helps.

Rupert

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II

Hi Stephanie

Sorry about the issue. It's not really clear in our builder interface but when you use images from Flickr or Google Plus they are referenced from the Story Map, not imported into the Story Map. So if the images are deleted from Flickr or unshared, they won't be available in the Story Map. Accessing pictures from Flickr or Google Plus is really intended to be used when you or someone else are already publicly sharing images via those systems and you want to also include them in a Story Map.

You could upload your images directly into the Story Map Journal builder, which is the easiest way to work with images.

Alternatively you could put them onto a web server and reference them directly via URLs. That can be a good solution if you have a large number of image you want to work with because you can manage them yourself. For example I have 200+ images of San Diego that I use in various Story Maps so managing them on a web server works well because I can reference them via URLs from multiple stories instead of uploading them into each story. The tricky part with doing that, assuming you can get access to a web server or website to put them on, is ensuring that they aren't too large. Unlike accessing pics in Flickr or uploading them, Story Maps don't optimize images you reference via URLs, so you have to be aware of the size recommendations, and if your images are too large to start with it can be a pain to resize them. If you are making a Shortlist or a Map Tour though, referencing your images via URLs is really useful because you can include those URLs in a spreadsheet that you use to author those stories. (Shortlist and Map Tour are place-driven, so they let you define your places in a spreadsheet and generate the Story Map from that spreadsheet.

Hope that helps.

Rupert

StephanieWillis
New Contributor II

Thank you so much, Rupert.  So, I think I'll have to upload them directly.  I don't have access to a web server or website, plus they are all different sizes, and some are very large, so that will be problematic.  

There is no way to upload them a folder at a time, right?  I'm going to have to re-add each and then redo the Story Actions, so I'm just trying to think of a way to cut some time.

If I upload them directly, I won't have any trouble with the size of the map, right?  And all of them will be visible online for the public (in perpetuity?)?

Thanks again for all your help!

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II

Hi Stephanie

There's not a way to upload images in bulk..they have to be uploaded one by one. You don't need  to worry about the image sizes when you upload images because we automatically optimize the images. Uploaded images are stored in the Story Map Journal and are publicly accessible as long as that Story Map is. Deleting the Story Map deletes the images too. 

Note that if you are building a Story Map Tour or a Story Map Shortlist, one advantage of using images from Flickr or Google+ is that you can load all the images from one album directly into those stories in one go, and they automatically create places for each of the images. 

Rupert

StephanieWillis
New Contributor II

Thank you again.  Ok...now to rebuild...!

I really do appreciate the help!

0 Kudos