Is there anyone who would help with a first time story map tour? https://arcg.is/1KzzCu

Jump to solution
07-10-2018 09:18 AM
EllieMencer
New Contributor II

I'm 73 yrs old and see a wonderful opportunity to add a scavenger hunt story map to my promotions for Havre de Grace Magazine. Of course, the goal is to encourage people to learn more about our fine city. I've got some glitches and don't quite know what to do next. I've included the link so that you can see it. Thanks in advance for any support! Warmly, Ellie

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EllieMencer
New Contributor II
Luba,
Thanks so much for checking it out and responding. SO appreciated. I did get a response from the Esri FB page. They are taking a peek at it, too. Here's what I sent them if you still want to look at it.
1. Using google plus for photos has been a challenge. I've made posts then imported them. I guess that's correct.

2. I used a street map, but when viewing on desktop in the first slide, you have to click the 'home' icon to get it to show the street map as opposed to the world map.

3. On mobile, again the map shows as a world view rather than my street map. That's very taxing for the mobile user.

4. I've not figured out how to get thumbnails uploaded and I was wondering if they're needed for the mobile part because on mobile the photos are all distorted.

5. If I use thumbnails for mobile, what size should be uploaded and where do I upload to? Actually, I thought it happened automatically in mobile, but maybe not.

6. I found the code for 'start' and 'end' the video I used. But it doesn't work on desktop. It shows the entire video. I've watched 2 videos, but can't quite figure out how to do it. 

5. Video on mobile doesn't even show up.

6. Can I place a slide that has the viewer send us an email with the shop locations so that we can do a drawing on a certain date?

That's it for now. It took me about 3 long days to do what I did. But I believe it has great potential for many things to help smaller communities market themselves. I'd like to figure it out and maybe make a chart so I can repeat it. LOL

I also know our city is about ready to announce a bike trail. I'd love to know how to add that to a mobile app. That would be perfect.

Thanks so much for any assistance. Possibly I'm out of my element and shouldn't be messing with this. I'm no techie, but I've always been able to see possibilities. I had to try my idea! While you're looking at it, I'm trying to watch other videos.

If you need passwords, I have no problem giving them to you. 

Warmly, Ellie 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ellie,

I'm able to open up the story map and can scroll through it. If you could answer these questions it can give me a better idea of what types of issues you are having.

1: What are the issues you are encountering specifically? When you say 'glitches' at what point in the story map are you encountering them so I can pinpoint them.

2: Has it always been glitching or did it just start occurring?

3: Has there been any error messages associated with your glitches?

4: What are you ultimately trying to achieve?

Best,

Luba

0 Kudos
EllieMencer
New Contributor II
Luba,
Thanks so much for checking it out and responding. SO appreciated. I did get a response from the Esri FB page. They are taking a peek at it, too. Here's what I sent them if you still want to look at it.
1. Using google plus for photos has been a challenge. I've made posts then imported them. I guess that's correct.

2. I used a street map, but when viewing on desktop in the first slide, you have to click the 'home' icon to get it to show the street map as opposed to the world map.

3. On mobile, again the map shows as a world view rather than my street map. That's very taxing for the mobile user.

4. I've not figured out how to get thumbnails uploaded and I was wondering if they're needed for the mobile part because on mobile the photos are all distorted.

5. If I use thumbnails for mobile, what size should be uploaded and where do I upload to? Actually, I thought it happened automatically in mobile, but maybe not.

6. I found the code for 'start' and 'end' the video I used. But it doesn't work on desktop. It shows the entire video. I've watched 2 videos, but can't quite figure out how to do it. 

5. Video on mobile doesn't even show up.

6. Can I place a slide that has the viewer send us an email with the shop locations so that we can do a drawing on a certain date?

That's it for now. It took me about 3 long days to do what I did. But I believe it has great potential for many things to help smaller communities market themselves. I'd like to figure it out and maybe make a chart so I can repeat it. LOL

I also know our city is about ready to announce a bike trail. I'd love to know how to add that to a mobile app. That would be perfect.

Thanks so much for any assistance. Possibly I'm out of my element and shouldn't be messing with this. I'm no techie, but I've always been able to see possibilities. I had to try my idea! While you're looking at it, I'm trying to watch other videos.

If you need passwords, I have no problem giving them to you. 

Warmly, Ellie 
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ellie,

I found some solutions to your issues, see below. Please, let me know if you have any questions regarding my steps and I'd be more than willing to help out. 

1: (Regarding the extent of your map and not needing to click the home icon)

-When at your map on the first-page click settings>extent

- This will take you to a pop up that will allow for you to either- draw, zoom etc. on your area. When you select your extent and then save--this will be the extent that the user will see instead of needing to click 'home' 

2: Thumbnails (For thumbnail do you mean the image of the map or the carousel thumbnails?)

-For the maps initial image this is can be edited at 'My Stories'>click on your map> upload thumbnail see below

If you are referring to thumbnails in the carousel I have attached a link with highlighted information that gives you a good idea of what is the recommended image sizes for Map tour

Thumbnail Information-Recommended Size

3: Video

For 'Map Tour' layout here is the link to explain videos in Map Journal: Highlighted on the page

Video in Map Journal

Also here is a walkthrough for your template that helps you get a video in map journal

Walkthrough for adding video in Map Journal

Again, if you have any further questions about the information I've provided feel free to reach out.

Best,

Luba 

0 Kudos
EllieMencer
New Contributor II

Thanks, Luba.

Keep in mind that I'm using Story Maps Tour with side panel

Map: I had already created the extent. It's actually there now. But it doesn't seem to be working without clicking the first slide. 

Thumbnails: If you look at this on mobile, it distorts the original photos. Do I upload thumbnails and where do I put them since I'm using TOUR. And do I upload them to Google+ and then pull them in from there. 

Video: The pop up that allows for video URL, location, etc. I used this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAmRr0Vk6LM&t=59s&start=21&end=116

But it ends up deleting the start and end. 

I'm so close, and so frustrated. LOL

here's my login info - maybe it will help

owllady8

Ladie8BuG

I can change the password later.

Thanks Luba. You're being so very patient with me. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ellie,

Extent: 

For the extent you'll need to edit this for each tour point.  I see what you mean that on the first page it's on your points, and then on the rest, it goes back out to US view. In order to fix this, you'll need to edit in setting the map extent on each of the tour points.

I have provided the screenshots: I have outlined them in the red square

1: Click settings

2:Go to extent

3: Here you can draw the extent the user will see (This will be done for each tour point)

Thumbnail:

I am looking at the map from my mobile and don't see any distortion. However, if you do want to add a thumbnail when adding a new tour point and below the picture, there's an option to put thumbnail URL but in map tour template there isn't an ability to view the thumbnails. 

You can get the image URL from google by right-clicking an image>copy image address 

Then put it in the thumbnail and then if you switch templates it gives you the ability to view thumbnails. 

Video:

I see the video can be viewed online, however, can't be viewed on mobile. I was able to create a test doing the video and creating my own story map and was able to see the video on my test.

1: Add tour point>video> WaterWay_CurrierHouse.mp4 - YouTube > Then click the settings button next to the youtube URL you have. Click add tour point

See below:

0 Kudos
EllieMencer
New Contributor II

Luba, you've been wonderful. 

I decided to re-do it. It's possible I'd fussed with it so much that I was confusing the software AND me Here's the new link:

https://arcg.is/i9SO5

The only issue is still the video. I am trying to give it a start and end ... but I may have to just pull the section out and do it separately or just not use video right now. Somewhere I saw where you can give it a start and end, but now I can't locate the post. 😞 Nor can I get it to show up. 

I'll try the video again in the morning. 

You've been amazing and so patient. I'm hoping I can add the additional tour stops tomorrow and actually see if we can use it and begin to promote it. I believe I can use a QR code to post in stores and also post it on fb and the website. 

Should I show this as completed? Or leave it open in case I need a bit more guidance.

In any case, you've been amazing. Thank you thank you thank you. I'm so very excited!

Warmly, Ellie

PS I'm looking forward to seeing if I can work with the woman who's finishing up a bike trail map. I'd like to make that available by this fall.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ellie,

This looks wonderful! I have included some extra links for you to look at for the video, and how to add a QR code (Although I haven't worked with QR code myself I added some resources for guidance). You can close this one and in the future if you have any issues the Esri community will be there to help you with it  

Best of luck!

Adding video:

Add YouTube videos to your Story Map Journal or Story Map Series 

Adding start and end to video:

How can I set specific start and end times for an embedded video? – SpaceCraft Support Knowledge Bas... 

Custom Start and End Times For Youtube Videos - YouTube 

Adding QR Code:

http://www.esri.com/~/media/F1DCDA46B951465BA2155E254DF427F5 

Best,

Luba

0 Kudos
EllieMencer
New Contributor II

Thank you again. Here's the latest (totally new) revision. It all seems to be working thanks to your patient guidance. I want to try to make the links clickable. Other than that... I'm going to put into the universe and see what happens. SO very excited. Warmly, Ellie

https://arcg.is/i9SO5  

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ellie,

I have checked your map on on the web and my mobile, all looks great! It is ready for everyone else to see

Best,

Luba

0 Kudos