Select to view content in your preferred language

Grouping Maps in Story Map's Main Stage

Jump to solution
07-26-2018 08:54 AM
FrankFan2
New Contributor

For the Story Maps, how do you group two or more interactive maps in the Main Stage content (Side Panel layout) of a single page? Please refer to the attached picture of how the Main Stage would look like?

Is that even possible?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Frank -- You could create an app using the app template called "Compare" (it's available in the configurable app gallery), which allows you to add 2-4 maps in different frames.

Once you create the app and share it with Everyone you can then embed it in the main stage of your story map. To do that just copy the link to your Compare app and add it to the main stage as "web page" media.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Story Maps‌ would be a better place to move your thread to

0 Kudos
FrankFan2
New Contributor

Thanks for your advise. I'll do.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Frank -- You could create an app using the app template called "Compare" (it's available in the configurable app gallery), which allows you to add 2-4 maps in different frames.

Once you create the app and share it with Everyone you can then embed it in the main stage of your story map. To do that just copy the link to your Compare app and add it to the main stage as "web page" media.

Owen Evans
FrankFan2
New Contributor

Hi Owen,

Thanks for the reply. How do you customize the divider so that it will not be able to move and that if you move one map, the other one remain stagnant?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Sorry, I'm not sure about the configuration details for that app, but I'm sure someone in the ArcGIS Configurable Apps‌ space could help.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
FrankFan2
New Contributor

Going back to the first question in the post, is there any possibility to split one main stage into multiple ones using the side panel layout to achieve the same functionalities without installing any add-ons or downloading anything?

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II

Hi Frank

To show two maps together you could:

- Use the Story Map Swipe and Spyglass app template for your project. You can also embed a Swipe/Spyglass app into another story, like Story Map Series or Story Map Journal (see blog post about that or see example).

- In the Story Map Cascade app template you can create an immersive section and use a swipe transition between two maps, so that people get a similar experience to the swipe effect in the Story Map Swipe and Spyglass but in the context of the Cascade app. (see example).

- If you just want to present a set of maps that people can open individually, you could use Story Map Series where each tab contains a different map, Story Map Journal where each section shows a different map, or use one of the two Gallery configurable apps. 

- Another approach is to go non-interactive and just make images that contain both of your maps. (see example). This is often the most effective approach if your story doesn't require interaction, because you can control exactly what your users see and you can include legend, annotation, and other info directly in the image.

Rupert

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Frank -- No, not without customizing the app. Can I ask you to share some more details of what would go in each portion of the main stage? I'd like to get more information about what you're trying to do.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos