Select to view content in your preferred language

Error: story map tour save failed please try again - any tips?

10-20-2015 12:19 AM
KimLangenberg
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I am trying to make changes to my Map Tour by e.g. adding new tour points and pictures to the Tour. However, when I try to save my changes the following error message appears in red : story map tour save failed please try again. Whenever I make changes to the text only, it saves without problem.

I have done the following:

- in arcmap I created 3 feature classes, merged them into and and filled its attribute table containing name, caption, url, thumb_url, color.

- shared as a service and uploaded to ArcGIS Online.

- then created the Map Tour by using the template

I saw in an earlier post in March this could possibly a bug. Does anyone have an update on this? Is this an actual bug or am I simply overseeing something or doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Regular Contributor II

I have been able to access your application, I don't see anything that should prevent it to work.

Do you get an error in the application or developer console when you save? (hit F12 in most browser to open it)

But how are you dealing with the images?

Using custom feature services unfortunately require to understand some internals of the application, see documentation Esri/map-tour-storytelling-template-js · GitHub

It looks like you don't have attachments or fields to store the url of the thumbnail and main image.

We have a bunch of layer as csv, shp and more on GitHub that you can use to see how it works, see map-tour-storytelling-template-js/samples at master · Esri/map-tour-storytelling-template-js · GitHu...

0 Kudos
KarenEdelstein
New Contributor II

Sounds like you're saying that I can't add the image link directly to the panel from a URL...that it has to be in the attribute table itself? I can edit the files to make that possible. When I was testing this with a generic image url from the web, that's when it stopped saving.

I do have another question, which is related to a different project...Is there a way to expand the number of characters in the field of an attribute table so pop-up content is more than just a few words? But mostly, I want to figure this first question out.

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Regular Contributor II

If you don't have the attributes I mentioned no you won't be able to save them. That option should not be present in your case, sorry about that. I am not sure you can edit field length once the service is created, I think that is defined when the service is created based on the type in ArcMap or Pro. If you use a CSV, you may be limited to 255 characters.

0 Kudos