Can you increase the number of bullets in a story map series?

Jump to solution
04-22-2015 10:31 AM
KaylaFlamm
New Contributor III

I have a series of 22 different maps that I would like to put into a bulleted story map series template. However, I have discovered that the interactive builder limits you to 15 bullets. Is there any way around this?

I really would like to use the bulleted style, because the numbered bullets would be the best way to convey the story I am telling. However, if there is no way for me to get to 22 bullets, then I'd be open to using a different template.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

Yes there is. The hosted application has a limit to 15 bullets but if you can deploy the template to your server, you can change that limit. The procedure is:

- download, configure and deploy the template on a web server Esri/map-series-storytelling-template-js · GitHub

- change the 15 bullets limit by editing app/config.js > MAX_NB_ENTRIES

- use the builder to add your remaining entries Esri/map-series-storytelling-template-js · GitHub

- share the link to the Map Series deployed on your own server (the one in ArcGIS Online is still limited to 15 entries)

Note that tab and accordion layouts have the same limit and the same procedure can be applied to overcome it.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
GregoryL_Azou

Yes there is. The hosted application has a limit to 15 bullets but if you can deploy the template to your server, you can change that limit. The procedure is:

- download, configure and deploy the template on a web server Esri/map-series-storytelling-template-js · GitHub

- change the 15 bullets limit by editing app/config.js > MAX_NB_ENTRIES

- use the builder to add your remaining entries Esri/map-series-storytelling-template-js · GitHub

- share the link to the Map Series deployed on your own server (the one in ArcGIS Online is still limited to 15 entries)

Note that tab and accordion layouts have the same limit and the same procedure can be applied to overcome it.

KaylaFlamm
New Contributor III

Thank you, that is very helpful. Before this I had not used the downloadable template.

I am still a bit unclear on how to use the builder to add my remaining entries though. Could you explain what I need to do? I'm not sure on how to do this part: "adding the URL parameter 'edit' will open the builder". I'm sure it's probably something really simple, but I'm just a novice that can't quite seem to figure it out.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Glad to hear. Let's say that you will be accessing the app that you downloaded and configured at www.mydomain.com/myapp/index.html

To enter in builder mode, use that URL www.mydomain.com/myapp/index.html?edit (you will be prompted for sign-in)

KaylaFlamm
New Contributor III

Ah, that works, thanks!

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Just a note that in the recent July 2015 ArcGIS Online update we enhanced the Story Map Series so it now supports 30 entries instead of the old limit of 15.

TroyDawson
New Contributor II

Greetings,

I am able to deploy using a public hosting website fairly easy but I'm having difficulty increasing the amount of max tabs. I was able to find MAX_NB_ENTRIES in the config.js file but even after increasing from 30 to 50... my "Add" tab is still grayed out. And I missing something here? I'm able to access the builder using "?edit" but still no luck adding tabs. Please advise

0 Kudos
TimConfare2
New Contributor III

Troy...did you ever get an answer to this?  I am having the same problem.  I was able to deploy on my server but I'm not able to increase my number of bullets.  I am editing using the ?edit on the deployed app and not the one on AGOL.

0 Kudos