Can I insert a video clip into a pop-up?

06-14-2016 08:22 AM
Yavapai-ApacheNation
New Contributor II

I would like to insert video instead of an image into a popup.  Will it work by simply putting in the URL of the video clip?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Yavapai-ApacheNation
New Contributor II

Hmmm. You have given me lots of food for thought. It appears I have gotten a wrong start. In the beginning of the map, adding a Map Notes layer was the only way I could figure how to do it. I think I asked support at the time, or maybe saw the layers file you sent. So thought I was on the right track.

I considered making a CSV in the beginning, but realized I would never have all my translations. I need(ed) to be adding points all the time, not all at once.

So all this bring up many more questions…

Can I convert my Map Notes layers to feature layers? That would be the easiest.

Can I copy my points and place them on a new layer? How can I get a new layer without Arc-Gis?

Can I add a CSV file with only a few points and add others later?

I am thinking I had better fix this problem now when I have only a few hundred points… instead of later when I have thousands. Or just leave it as Map Notes…?

Judie Piner

Preservation & Technology

Yavapai-Apache Nation

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Judie,

I don't think it's too late to make your data go a different direction. We all have these hurdles that we go through and much of the time learn things the hard way (unfortunately).

I would advise not using Map Notes for permanent fixtures. I do not know of a way to convert them to a feature service.

I would suggest starting a CSV with all the pertinent information on it (especially location). This way it's useable in AGOL and will be useable in ArcGIS Desktop later as well.

Start with one, for now, and add to it as time allows. It will be a time consuming process but, like you said, good thing the dataset is "small" now compared to later.

0 Kudos
Yavapai-ApacheNation
New Contributor II

This morning I tried a CSV. I made a small one just to try it out. I must have done something wrong because my points don’t show up. I did go back to an old tutorial to view how the map works with CSV data. But what I see is that I then can no longer add points individually. As I understand it to add new data I would have to reimport the CSV and redo any formatting I did. I also cannot edit the PopUp directly. I might want to add language later when I get it. Also to change symbols.

Another factor… I work at the Culture Center for an Indian tribe. We have elders and youth here doing different activities. It is great to have them use the map, I show them how to explore and to add points. Then we enter the language directly at the time. I also record what they are saying (that’s where my goal of adding video comes in). I am planning on doing this at summer camp for the kids, as well.

Soon confused…. What to do…..

Judie Piner

Preservation & Technology

Yavapai-Apache Nation

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Judie,

What format is your lat/long in? For ArcGIS Online, it needs to be in the WGS84 coordinate system. You may need to tweak it some for it to come in.

Unfortunately, AGOL does not behave as nicely as Google Earth does in terms of easily adding data to the map. But the difference is the power of GIS and what it can do and how it handles data.

The best situation for you, since it appears you will be continually updating this map, is to have a feature class (likely in the form of a Geodatbase like a File Geodatabase) in ArcGIS Desktop, and then continue to publish from ArcGIS Desktop in order to keep your AGOL map alive and up-to-date. This will give you the functionality that you need and provide the service that you need to provide.

I know you said you do not have this now, but that is really your best bet. I really don't know how trial licenses work when it comes to both desktop and online capabilities, but it may be worth looking into in order to get some data out there?

I am not sure if this is helpful or not but you may be stuck dealing with not being able to add audio to your popups for awhile, until you get more functionality, etc.

0 Kudos