Can I insert a video clip into a pop-up?

06-14-2016 08:22 AM
Yavapai-ApacheNation
New Contributor II

I would like to insert video instead of an image into a popup.  Will it work by simply putting in the URL of the video clip?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Yavapai-ApacheNation
New Contributor II

On the map? Or the video link I sent? Here it is again.

http://www.yan-culture.org/Images/Map/Community/ER-Cherry.mp4

Judie Piner

Preservation & Technology

Yavapai-Apache Nation

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Judie,

I typed this into the custom config html properties of the popup:

<video controls="true" preload="auto" width="200">

<source src="http://www.yan-culture.org/Images/Map/Community/ER-Cherry.mp4" type="video/mp4">

</source>

</video>

It mostly worked for me. It will take a little bit of tweaking. It would not work in Firefox but it gave me the audio when I did this in Chrome.

0 Kudos
Yavapai-ApacheNation
New Contributor II

I don’t seem to have that custom config link. See my attachment. Am I in the right spot?

Judie Piner

Yavapai-Apache Nation

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

You first need to be able to enable popups. What kind of layer is Traditional Foods? It might need to be a feature service layer.

This article might tell more on what needs to be done in order to enable popups:

Configure pop-ups—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

(and once they're enabled, then you can configure them).

0 Kudos
Yavapai-ApacheNation
New Contributor II

Hmmm. Its a layer I made from Add>Add Map Notes. Probably not the right kind…? All my layers were made that way. Once again, I don’t seem to have enable pop-ups.

Needless to say, I am a Newbie. That was the only way I could figure out to add a layer. So its not a feature service layer?

Judie Piner

Yavapai-Apache Nation

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Yeah, map notes are virtually push pins on a map that do not allow much functionality. You will need one of the supported layers in order to configure popups.

0 Kudos
Yavapai-ApacheNation
New Contributor II

How to I add that kind of layer?

And before you get sick of me… thanks for all your help. You have been wonderful.

Judie Piner

Yavapai-Apache Nation

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

No worries!

There are several different ways to add layers. See here:

Add layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Do you have access to ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap or Pro)? I would publish layers from there (which is what I do). Looking at the popups situation: "You can configure pop-ups in ArcGIS Server service layers, hosted feature layers, hosted tile layers, and layers from files."

So you need some kind of feature layer. Here is an article on publishing a hosted feature layer:

Publish hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

If you have found any of the comments helpful, please mark the "Yes" next to helpful in this thread. 

0 Kudos
Yavapai-ApacheNation
New Contributor II

Thank you. I fear now I have made some drastic mistakes. Right now I don’t have access to ARC-GIS yet. Our IT people are slow to get me set up. I will do some studying and see where I land.

Judie Piner

Yavapai-Apache Nation

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Maybe you could make a CSV file if you know the lat/long of the locations. Then that could potentially be your file-loaded layer. It would be worth trying a few locations out on to see if the popups work.

0 Kudos