Can I download map tour layers and the attached photos?

Jump to solution
09-07-2018 05:02 AM
AndrewDavis5
New Contributor II

Hello:

I have inherited a story map which has a map tour layer and photos attached.  There is a need to do one of either two things change the ownership (and unfortunately the organization) of the story map.  That is done with AGOL Assistant, but now I have lost the links to the pictures inside the Map Tour Layer.

Can I download and then re-upload the layer?..  FYI Search as I might, i cannot find the existing Map Tour Layer in the users original content in their old organization, and the original creator is not available.

Andy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi

Every Story Map Tour has an associated web map in which it stores the places in the tour. That web map contains the layer in which the places are stored. You can find that web map by searching or browsing the items owned by the original account. You can also get to it via My Stories or if all else fails opening the Map Tour and using dev tools (e.g. F12 in Chrome) to get the ID of the web map it tries to open.

If the Tour uses pics in Flickr, Google+ or referenced via URLs, you'll see those URLs as attributes in that layer. If the Tour uses pics that were uploaded into it, that layer will actually be a feature service layer with attachments. Either way you should be able to get to the images and download for re-use. Alternatively, you should be able to create a new Map Tour from that web map directly, by opening the map, and choosing Share > Create Web App and choosing Story Map Tour. If you want to create a new Tour in the Organization in which you have moved the Tour, move the map into that Organization and then create the tour. Ideally want all the data for your tour - the app, the web map, and the feature service (if images are handled by uploading them into the tour) to be owned by the same account in the same Org. I'd recommend just re-creating the tour with the materials you have: it is less fiddly than the above and you can control where everything ends up.

Rupert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi

Every Story Map Tour has an associated web map in which it stores the places in the tour. That web map contains the layer in which the places are stored. You can find that web map by searching or browsing the items owned by the original account. You can also get to it via My Stories or if all else fails opening the Map Tour and using dev tools (e.g. F12 in Chrome) to get the ID of the web map it tries to open.

If the Tour uses pics in Flickr, Google+ or referenced via URLs, you'll see those URLs as attributes in that layer. If the Tour uses pics that were uploaded into it, that layer will actually be a feature service layer with attachments. Either way you should be able to get to the images and download for re-use. Alternatively, you should be able to create a new Map Tour from that web map directly, by opening the map, and choosing Share > Create Web App and choosing Story Map Tour. If you want to create a new Tour in the Organization in which you have moved the Tour, move the map into that Organization and then create the tour. Ideally want all the data for your tour - the app, the web map, and the feature service (if images are handled by uploading them into the tour) to be owned by the same account in the same Org. I'd recommend just re-creating the tour with the materials you have: it is less fiddly than the above and you can control where everything ends up.

Rupert

0 Kudos
AndrewDavis5
New Contributor II

Thanks, I appreciate the reply.

FYI:  I have gotten the pix as you have described (dev tools, urls to flickr).  The 'Map Tour Layer' inside the actual map that the app uses is grayed out.  I am reloading the pictures to the migrated Story Map.  The original owner's content does not contain the Map Tour Layer.

Andy..

deleted-user-jxpbpbjlZInj
Occasional Contributor

I've got a question related to this - as Andrew Davis points out, the original owner's content does not contain the Map Tour Layer. If I'm reading this correctly, then what's happening is that we're searching for a layer in an AGOL folder and we are expecting it to show up like any other kind of feature layer. 

Instead, the only way to see that a layer exists is to open the Web Map that actually derives the Web Map Application (Story Map Tour.) At that point, there's no option to open the details or download the "feature layer." 

So where does this feature layer actually sit? If someone derives the Story Map Tour locations from a csv and it shows up in a Web Map, but not any folders then how do we get to it and manipulate it like any other feature layer?

0 Kudos