Select to view content in your preferred language

How do you correct road sign numbers fit into their symbol?

10-24-2017 09:12 AM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

So let's say if you have the road symbol set up in a specific area and you discover that a few of them had numbers overrun the symbols like this:

and what if you have others that are already have the same symbol and are fit into their symbol in the same area ? most of the time the numbers are either 2 or 3 and can fit fine.

I am using ArcGIS 10.3.1 and I have Label Manager set up already here..

Thank you

5 Replies
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

One thing I just thought of is to decrease the text symbol by going to the Character Width down to 65 from 100. Haven't tried that yet because I had a very of them that I turned it off...

So if you came across like this  try this way...

0 Kudos
JosephCarter
Occasional Contributor

I looked at this, Robert, and I have to ask; "are you using Maplex and were you in layout mode when you first attempted to label your county roads. . .?

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Yes they were in Maplex and you are right they were in layout as well.  Do you have a solution to this ?

I just tried this way this morning .

Before  

and after 

Boy this is really challenge !

0 Kudos
JosephCarter
Occasional Contributor

StyleManagerClipFirst, you should go into your "Style Manager" and see what you are working with. . . .add some more shields, signs, etc. in order to use the right sign style for the number of characters. Good luck! Adding to your library will be worth the effort.

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Good to know and thanks.  Yes very challenge here...