Select to view content in your preferred language

Import errors with calcite components in a SvelteKit app

11-01-2023 03:47 PM
Labels (1)
NathanielGoodby
New Contributor II

Hey everyone, 

I'm building a SvelteKit application using node and vite. 

If I try to import a calcite component like this:

import "@esri/calcite-components/dist/components/calcite-button";

I get this error: 

Internal server error: Named export 'h' not found. The requested module '@stencil/core/internal/client/index.js' is a CommonJS module, which may not support all module.exports as named exports.
CommonJS modules can always be imported via the default export, for example using:

import pkg from '@stencil/core/internal/client/index.js';
const { h } = pkg;

If I instead import it this way, it works: 

import {onMount} from 'svelte';
onMount(async () => {await import('@esri/calcite-components/dist/components/calcite-button')})

I've encountered a similar error when working with the ESRI JS Maps SDK (similar to this thread: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-javascript-maps-sdk-questions/svelte-kit-build-error/td-p/11239...). But that thread doesn't explain the issue. It simply recommends loading the modules asynchronously on mount of the component. Sure, it's a decent workaround but what's going on?

It seems that there is some issue with ES modules being misinterpreted as common JS modules but I'm not sure where the issue lies exactly. Has any body encountered this issue and know what's going on? 

For the time being, I've moved away from using calcite components because of unwanted behaviors like this. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
NathanielGoodby
New Contributor II

Posting email response from Rene Rubalclava to close the loop:

"This looks like an issue with Stencil, and possibly not something we can fix on our end yet.

https://github.com/Esri/calcite-design-system/issues/5077

It looks like the Calcite team is waiting to hear from Stencil support, but my guess is that any fixes will not come to the current Stencil 2 version we all currently use. There will be a migration to Stencil 4, the latest version, but I don’t have a timeline on that.

As of right now, dynamic imports seems to be the only working solution in some SSR environments."

0 Kudos