Attribute rule arcade expression calling webservice and processing result

09-15-2020 04:21 AM
Jens_Dalsgaard
Occasional Contributor

Upon insert or move of a feature I would like to call a service (using X and Y of the feature as input) and use the returned result for updating an attribute on the feature in question. This seems like something I should write an Arcade expression for. Apparently this is not supported for now.

I believe such capability is highly relevant considering Esri promoting the service-based architecture. Anyone out there agreeing, please give it a vote.

Esri - should you already be considering this please let me know of the roadmap.

Best regards 

Jens Dalsgaard

14 Comments
Skyler
by

To add another use case for the ability to send HTTP requests with Arcade: I'm working on a Field Maps data entry form where an external API needs to be called and passed the user's location, to receive a response that affects an aspect of the form. This is impossible in Field Maps since there is no way to send an HTTP request.

Bud
by
AJR
by

At the 2019 developer conference (maybe the first one after attribute rules were announced/rolled out????) I was in a session that covered using an attribute rule to populate an attribute using a spatial query against another feature class in the same geodatabase (which it should be noted is super useful and way better than the home-baked options we were limited to in the past).  At that time the presenter mentioned that only queries within the same geodatabase were currently supported, but accessing other geodatabases (on your LAN) and accessing web services were things that they were working on.  I guess it takes more folks upvoting threads like this one to make that happen since that functionality hasn't been released yet.

Bud
by

@AJR Have you ever tried Oracle’s UTL_HTTP package as a workaround?