Select to view content in your preferred language

Is this the expected behavior when using Publisher?

02-02-2010 06:32 AM
ArcGISUser
Frequent Contributor
I have a map showing representations.  I published the map and I also packaged it.  When I just publish the map and click on the pmf file, my representations appear fine.  When I package the map and open the generated pmf folder to click on the packaged pmf file, my published map shows up with simple symbols.  I realize that there are limitations when packaging maps, "The loss or modification of some cartographic functionality may occur."  Is the inability to show representations one of them? I am checking the Help, but I do not see a reference to representations and publisher.

Troubleshooting data packaging limitations
http://help.esri.com/en/arcgisdesktop/9.4/help/index.html#/Troubleshooting-data-packaging-limitation...

Troubleshooting data packaging error messages
http://help.esri.com/en/arcgisdesktop/9.4/help/index.html#/Troubleshooting-data-packaging-error-mess...

Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Are you using the intersect or copy option when creating the package?  

Also are you viewing the PMF, using ArcReader, on the same machine that you use to author the map, and seeing this problem?  You mentioned simplified symbols, and sometimes this can occur on ArcReader machines that do not have the fonts of the authoring machine.  Especially if you were using non-ESRI fonts in your symbols.

Mark
0 Kudos
ArcGISUser
Frequent Contributor
Thank you for getting back to me.  I have worked with Publisher and ArcReader only a few times, so I am not sure if I am even doing this correctly.  I am using only one machine to create and open the pmfs and this machine has ESRI fonts.  When I wrote simple symbols, I meant single symbols (single line symbology).  When I created the package, I used the default settings. Here are my steps to reproduce this issue:

1) With a new ArcMap session, add parcel lines (which has representations)
2) Switch to Layout View and using the Publisher Toolbar go to -> Publish Map. For this example, I named the pmf AssessorMap.
3) Open up ArcReader9.4 and open the newly Published map.
4) Notice that everything looks fine.
5) Go back to ArcMap and using the Publisher Toolbar go to -> Create Data Package
6) Point to AssessorMap, accept default settings and create the package
7) Navigate to the newly created data package, click on the �??PMF�?� folder and open up the AssessorMap pmf, which opens up in ArcReader.
😎 Notice that the map only shows single line symbols.
        Note: If I open up ArcReader first and then navigate to data package -> pmf folder -> AssessorMap.pmf, I still see single line symbols.

Please see screen captures.
0 Kudos