Select to view content in your preferred language

Dynamic Projections in ArcReader

06-14-2014 11:27 AM
JacobBelobaba
New Contributor
I???m building an ArcReader document that can be used to print paper topographic maps in the field. ArcReader appears to be my only option as users will be in remote locations where there is not internet access and will not know how to use ArcMap.

I need to use UTM projections, but the geographic area covers at least five different UTM zones. I???ve found lots of info on setting up ArcMap to change the projection based on geographic location using either python or the production mapping extension but it doesn???t appear that any of these solutions will work once the map is published to ArcReader.

If I buy the Production Mapping extension will the data frame coordinate system rules functionality continue to work when I export my map to a PMF?

Is there another way to configure ArcReader to change projections based on geographic location?

Is there another product I can use instead of ArcReader?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
TomMagdaleno
Frequent Contributor
I can't give you a definitive answer, but in my experience scripting does not work in ArcReader
You could use ArcMap and just remove toolbars and maybe even the table of contents so it looks simple.  This is an expensive way to go. 
You could create five different projects and just train the users on which project to open.

The cutting edge solution: ArcGIS server 10.2 is supposed to allow offline mapping. Talk to ESRI about this, it sounds like this feature is right up your alley.
0 Kudos