Select to view content in your preferred language

Shape file not editable

Jump to solution
04-17-2012 04:52 PM
RichardGlass
New Contributor II
I am importing shape files into Arcpad from Geomedia and not getting editable layers, they are showing up as minute liittle black dots. The symbology can not be changed and the data forms used for data collection are no longer an option. Does anyone else have this problem?

What would cause the shapefile to become uneditable? I can use the info key and click on the dot and it gives me the information stored on that point but will not allow any edits. I can edit forms in Studio fine as well.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardGlass
New Contributor II
Hi All - this is how the problem is solved:

By default, point feature classes with or without collections are exported as a MultiPoint/MultiPointZ shape type. When the DWORD value AVExportPointAsPointShape under the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Intergraph\Applications\ is present and is set to 1 (non-zero), the export point features are forced to be exported as a Point/PointZ shape type, instead of MultiPoint/MultiPointZ.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SteveFitzgerald
New Contributor III
Richard,
Are you able to attach an example shapefile for examination?
Steve
0 Kudos
RichardGlass
New Contributor II
Here it is
0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor
Hello,

The reason why that point file is un-editable is because ArcPad cannot edit multipart features. In ArcToolbox in ArcMap, use the Multipart To Singlepart tool in Data Management Tools > Features to convert the multipoint geometry to point geometry. This layer will then be editable in ArcPad.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
RichardGlass
New Contributor II
Hi All - this is how the problem is solved:

By default, point feature classes with or without collections are exported as a MultiPoint/MultiPointZ shape type. When the DWORD value AVExportPointAsPointShape under the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Intergraph\Applications\ is present and is set to 1 (non-zero), the export point features are forced to be exported as a Point/PointZ shape type, instead of MultiPoint/MultiPointZ.
0 Kudos