Select to view content in your preferred language

Remove start-up dialogs?

Jump to solution
03-01-2015 11:10 PM
SteveFitzgerald
New Contributor III

I'm updating an Arcpad app for a client from version 8 & would like to know how to have Arcpad just open the app & not any other maps, screens, dialogs, etc. This was easy in Arcpad 8 but I can't figure out how to do it in 10.

I would just like the app to open, no "open map", no "prompt for options", not Quickproject nor "Restore last map" - just run the applet code as it used to in version 8.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SteveFitzgerald
New Contributor III

Rolf, Thanks very much for that.

While it didn't appear to change anything (I didn't remove any applets as I want them all to load), it did get me experimenting and led me to:

<STARTUP quickstart="-1"/>

(note the "-" before the 1).

Thanks Brett & Rolf!

Steve

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BrettBlack
Occasional Contributor

When the "Welcome to ArcPad" dialog box appears upon start up there should be a toggle box in the lower left hand corner that allows you to select and then make your selection of "New Map" for example.

Also, under the ArcPad Options menu>General tab, there is a dropdown box so you can select which process you would like upon the starting of ArcPad.

0 Kudos
SteveFitzgerald
New Contributor III

Thanks Brett.

I guess ideally I would like the option of "Do nothing" as my script and Arcpad default project (Arcpad.apm) in the Default Maps & Data Path does all I need.

"New Map" seems to be the most innocuous option but still seems to be tripping some validation in an applet that looks for the required project layers in my auto loading project. Perhaps I should recode that applet to avoid messages that appear to be due to the "New Map".

0 Kudos
RolfBroch
Occasional Contributor II

Have you tried to set quickstart="1" in ArcPadPrefs.apx as in the following example and removed all applets that you do not want to load from the applets catalog?

<ArcPad>

<PREFERENCES>

<STARTUP quickstart="1"/>

Rolf

0 Kudos
SteveFitzgerald
New Contributor III

Rolf, Thanks very much for that.

While it didn't appear to change anything (I didn't remove any applets as I want them all to load), it did get me experimenting and led me to:

<STARTUP quickstart="-1"/>

(note the "-" before the 1).

Thanks Brett & Rolf!

Steve

0 Kudos
SteveFitzgerald
New Contributor III

Sorry, forgot to mention, for clarity, set quickstart="-1" in ArcPadPrefs.apx seems to have fixed the problem. Arcpad doesn't seem to interfere with any applets or projects loading.

While this solution seems a bit hackish it does do the job. Incidentally, I use a similar  "-1" hack in "thisEvent.MessageType = -1" to prevent the default error message appearing (which I replace with my own more customizable messagebox).

Apologies for crediting myself with the correct answer when Rolf really provided 99% of it but I thought it may help others if they are searching with a similar issue.

0 Kudos