Python Not Available in ArcPad Studio

05-15-2014 09:20 AM
DavidPalmer
New Contributor
Want to use python for scripting since I'm more familiar with it. However, when I go into options only VB and JScript are available. Installed python 2.7 with ArcGIS 10.1. How do I fix it?
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DavidPalmer
New Contributor
Is anyone using ArcPad Studio?

Is anyone using Python with ArcPad Studio?

Never had a response to a forum post. Guess my questions and problems are to complex.
0 Kudos
MichaelWallace
New Contributor
Is anyone using ArcPad Studio?

Is anyone using Python with ArcPad Studio?

Never had a response to a forum post. Guess my questions and problems are to complex.

I would also like to do this too, but I believe in one of my many calls or emails to support. I asked this question and they said it was not enabled yet.

Sincerely,

Michael Wallace
0 Kudos
DavidPalmer
New Contributor
so they have it in the documentation, but not available in the software. Wouldn't mind if someone from ESRI would comment here and provide an update. I can use vb, but I am much more comfortable with python.
0 Kudos
ValerieAnderson1
New Contributor

I was wondering about this as well. They have a blog post from 2011 <The ArcPad Team Blog: ArcPad and Python‌> that says that they're compatible (Python 2.6 and ArcGIS 10.03), and so do their help pages <ArcPad Developer Help - Concepts>. I'm about to start a project and I'd prefer to use python over vbscript but perhaps that's not advisable or even possible. It seems like ArcPad Studio can open .py files, though.

0 Kudos
GarethWalters
Occasional Contributor III

Hi David (and everyone else),

Yes you can definitely use Python with ArcPad. There are some limitations to it though, not all of the object model is supported and you can only use python on Windows PC.

I have a machine currently running Python 2.7 and ArcPad 10.2.1 and all is good.

You may have needed to install Python first and then ArcPad so it can find the folder locations.

0 Kudos
RichelleSpry
New Contributor III

I know this post is slightly old, but for those that come across this issue in the future...

In order to have python available in ArcPad, you need to make sure that you have Python and PyWin32 Python Extensions for Windows (both free downloads) installed. Once installed, then the Python option will be active in Studio, and recognised by ArcPad.

See the 'Working with scripts' in 'Scripts, ArcPad XML, and the ArcPad Object Model' ArcPad help for more information: ArcPad Help