Not being able to use External List Values

10-14-2010 07:49 PM
AndresAristizabal
New Contributor
I really need some help here...
the thing is I want to use external list values for a combobox.
I have the dbf file, but the program is not able to see anything inside the dbf...

My frustration is growing stronger since i tried to use the Tree Ownership.dbf inside the tutorial folder, and still is not able to see anything inside dbf files...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Andres
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
StevenRehbaum
New Contributor
Having a similar problem where I am referencing another .axf when I output from the MXD to .AXF and .APM.  I want to reference the lookup tables being substituted for domains and subtypes which have been removed (long story) so I can essentially decrease the overall size of the output .axf.  I have tried a few times selecting tables, but no dice.  The only way I see them in ArcPad is if I make a list in a new combobox in the referenced .axf (which is exactly what I do not want to do) and output to a new .axf.  I would like to know if I am missing some setting or does the .axf not play nice with .dbf.  TIA.
0 Kudos
AndresAristizabal
New Contributor
Having a similar problem where I am referencing another .axf when I output from the MXD to .AXF and .APM.  I want to reference the lookup tables being substituted for domains and subtypes which have been removed (long story) so I can essentially decrease the overall size of the output .axf.  I have tried a few times selecting tables, but no dice.  The only way I see them in ArcPad is if I make a list in a new combobox in the referenced .axf (which is exactly what I do not want to do) and output to a new .axf.  I would like to know if I am missing some setting or does the .axf not play nice with .dbf.  TIA.

What version of arcpad are you using??? Mine is Arcpad 10
After a long day of struggle, I tried to make some forms in Arcpad  8 SP2 to see if the problem was related to the version...

After I started Arcpad studio V 8.0, the program displayed an error related to the absence of the followinf dll's:

ceutil.dll
RAPI.dll

I downloaded them, ran the program and voila!!!! the combobox now was able to see the contents of the dbf files...

I tried to show a partner the problem with version 10 and to my surprise, the software was working properly now!!!

So, I am not sure if it does work for you, but try downloading those dll's and saving them in the preogram root folder.

Regards,

Andres
0 Kudos
StevenRehbaum
New Contributor
We are using ArcPad 10.  I still have not had any success.  I thought it was possible to modify the layer definitions in the .axf to seek an external table.  I could be wrong.  Anyone else have any ideas?  It is crucial I resolve this issue ASAP as my field folks are waiting for me.  No pressure 😮
0 Kudos
StevenRehbaum
New Contributor
Anyone else trying to access external .dbfs from a layer definition inside an .axf (modified with a new combobox of course)?  Wasn't sure if I am missing something or it just doesn't work with an .axf.  TIA.
0 Kudos
IvanKautter
New Contributor III
Seems to work fine for me at ArcPad 10.  The ComboBox Control allows you to set three attributes to reference aspects of the DBF table

listtable - The DBF table used to populate the combo box.
listvaluefield - The field of the DBF table that contains the data used to populate the value component of the combo box's items.
listtextfield - The field of the DBF table that contains the data used to populate the text component of the combo box's items.

If you are editing the layer def for an axf feature class in ArcPad Studio, you can merely open the properties for the combo box control on your form, go the List Values tab, click the table-looking button beside the Table field, nav to where it is, and select it.  The Values and Text field control should then populate in the List Values tab and you can select any field to represent the value and text for the control.

I found that the DBF needed to be in the same folder or directory as the axf file for it to work.  You may be able to specify a relative or absolute path in the listtable attribute for the DBF  by editing the XML for the layer definition manually but I have not tested that.
0 Kudos
StevenRehbaum
New Contributor
Seems to work fine for me at ArcPad 10.  The ComboBox Control allows you to set three attributes to reference aspects of the DBF table

listtable - The DBF table used to populate the combo box.
listvaluefield - The field of the DBF table that contains the data used to populate the value component of the combo box's items.
listtextfield - The field of the DBF table that contains the data used to populate the text component of the combo box's items.

If you are editing the layer def for an axf feature class in ArcPad Studio, you can merely open the properties for the combo box control on your form, go the List Values tab, click the table-looking button beside the Table field, nav to where it is, and select it.  The Values and Text field control should then populate in the List Values tab and you can select any field to represent the value and text for the control.

I found that the DBF needed to be in the same folder or directory as the axf file for it to work.  You may be able to specify a relative or absolute path in the listtable attribute for the DBF  by editing the XML for the layer definition manually but I have not tested that.

I believe this is what I was missing.  I was able to select all of our lookup tables no problem for each feature class.  The problem was the output .axf did not see these tables that were in another folder directory.  Now that I know they need to be in the same folder directory I will try it again.  Many thanks.
0 Kudos
JohnAnderson
New Contributor
srehbaum, Thank you for this insight; "I found that the DBF needed to be in the same folder or directory as the axf file for it to work."  I thought it would be nice to use the .dbf file similar to a domain that could be used for many different files, but it looks like I'll need a .dbf file for each directory.  This should be bug listed, but I'm not seeing it.

Thanks, JOhn
0 Kudos
GordonGraham
New Contributor
I was having the same issue, where my Combo Box control was not being populated with the fields stored in my DBF table. The solution, as stated above, is to save the DBF table in the same folder as the AXF file you are working with in ArcPad Studio. I wish it said as much in the Studio Help.
0 Kudos
DHCDHC
by
New Contributor II
Hi,

I am having the same problem as the original poster (I load my dbf table but the Values and Text fields remain blank). I have been adding my values by hand put that is far too time consuming. I tried putting everything in a root directory - didn't work. I don't have an axf file (or know how to create one). Rather, I have opened my shapefile by creating a 'new layer definition project' in Arcpad Studio and then editing my form (so it creates an apl file). I am using ArcPad 8.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Fiona
0 Kudos