Select to view content in your preferred language

How to Stick out XY points with ArcPad in the field,

09-19-2013 01:58 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
How to Stick out XY points with ArcPad in the field,

I couldn???t figure out if the ArcPad can be used to stick multiple XY points in the field. For example, if multiple XY points are given and it is required to lay out these point in the field, then is it possible to use the ArcPad for this purpose?

How this can be implemented?

Thank you

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BrettBlack
Occasional Contributor
If the points you wish to navigate to are in the .APM file or loaded in ArcPad as a shapefile, then yes. Once they are open in ArcPad you can use the Find feature, search for the point feature class, then in the results page select the feature and use the GoTo function. This will give you navigation (bearing and distance) to the point.

You can also just select the GoTo function (Browse Tools tab>Identify dropdown>GoTo). Then "tap" on the screen and it will navigate you to that point. Note that the tap on the screen will be exactly where you tap, not necessarily snap to a piont, so it is best to be zoomed in when you making your tapping gesture.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
If the points you wish to navigate to are in the .APM file or loaded in ArcPad as a shapefile, then yes. Once they are open in ArcPad you can use the Find feature, search for the point feature class, then in the results page select the feature and use the GoTo function. This will give you navigation (bearing and distance) to the point.

You can also just select the GoTo function (Browse Tools tab>Identify dropdown>GoTo). Then "tap" on the screen and it will navigate you to that point. Note that the tap on the screen will be exactly where you tap, not necessarily snap to a piont, so it is best to be zoomed in when you making your tapping gesture.

Thank you Brett for the help,

Could you please elaborate a bit more regarding sticking out.

Suppose that I want to stick out the point below in the field
X=160000
Y=170000

I assume that this point must be provided to the GPS device such that the device can compare between its location and the current location of the GPS device. As the user can see the current location of the GPS device and the required point then he/she can manage to reach it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27606[/ATTACH]

Does the ArcPad work this way?
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
BrettBlack
Occasional Contributor
Yes, once the location is "marked" you can open the GPS Status Panel of ArcPad and it will give you a bearing and distance to the marked location.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Yes, once the location is "marked" you can open the GPS Status Panel of ArcPad and it will give you a bearing and distance to the marked location.

Thank you Brett for the help,

I couldn�??t find the �??GPS Status Panel of ArcPad�?�. Is it the same as the �??GPS position window�?�?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28978[/ATTACH]
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Hi Brett,

Sticking out XY points has two issues in the ArcPad

1. In the screenshot below, given my current location, supposed that I need the GPS to guide me to the location of the point:
X=170236.98
Y=147337.44

Then how to provide this XY value to the ArcPad?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28988[/ATTACH]

2. I marked the location of the previous XY value manually and found out that the ArcPad doesn�??t provide description how to reach it.

Is the information on the status bar all what is provided to reach the XY point? Is this information sufficient?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28989[/ATTACH]
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos