Select to view content in your preferred language

How to create perform calculations within Arcpad?

06-30-2010 12:12 PM
DouglasHansen
New Contributor
Hello,

Can anyone provide me with suggestions on how to perform a calculation on data within ArcPad?  I am thinking I could create a tool, however, I need to allow the user to select the species and enter the number of plots?  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks!!
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
EricHajek1
Occasional Contributor
It should be pretty easy to do nearly any calculations you'd want to do programmatically using VBscript in a form you create for your data. If you set up a custom form for your ArcPad project where the user selects or enters some values in text boxes, you can retreive those values, perform a calculation, and spit the result back out into a text box or feature class.

If you have any more details about what you're trying to do it'll be easier to explain more specifically what it might require.

Hope this helps
0 Kudos
DouglasHansen
New Contributor
Thanks Eric!

More specifically it is a forest cruising app in which we want to be able to calculate cords/acre in the field. Where cords/acre= ((avg#trees/plot)x (avg#sticks +1))/2. The fields needed in the claculation are '# of trees' and 'total height'. 

Where: avg# trees= # of trees/# of plots and

avg#sticks= Avg height/8

with Avg height= total height/# of trees.  I also have a plot # field where instead of a manual entry(within the calculation) I could just find the largest value and input that into the calculation.

Hopefully, I haven't confused you further..I have the basic principle I just do not know how to translate to make it work within arcpad.  Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos