ArcPad Data Manager shuts down ArcMap

05-18-2010 09:41 AM
DuaneTreadon
Occasional Contributor
I am ruining ArcInfo 9.3.1 on an ELA (Enterprise License Agreement) and ArcPad 8 on its own license (not part of the ELA).  When I use the data manager to export my data for use in ArcPad I get an error message during processing.  The error signature states:

EventType : BEX     P1 : ArcMap.exe     P2 : 9.3.1.3000     P3 : 49c1abad    
P4 : ArcPadToolsGen2.dll     P5 : 8.0.3.7     P6 : 4b625e03     P7 : 000dba47
P8 : c0000409     P9 : 00000000    

ArcMap shuts down after the error and no data is processed.  This event happen when i try to export as shape file or a AXF file. 

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong or what might be happening?

Thanks,
JT
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
38 Replies
denisedavis
Occasional Contributor III
I'm not sure if this will help you at all but I do see my symbology when collecting data in the field.

I have a "generic" gdb created in WGS84. I have Domains set up to contain all the "types" of points, lines, or polygons I may need to capture. I have a "generic" mxd created also in WGS84 that points to the "generic" gdb. I have all of my different "types" of point features symbolized as needed in the mxd. I check out the data to a local folder and then load the folder to an SD card on my data collection device. When collecting data, I'm able to see the symbols I've created as I capture information in the field. I'm using GIS10 with ArcPad8.
0 Kudos
DAVARSESER
New Contributor
Hello, I'm experiencing the same problem too.
I'm using ArcMap 10.0 SP2 and ArcPad 10 is installed on my computer.

The first time I used it the Data Manager succeeded in exporting one layer, and then crashed ArcMap, like a few of you.

Now, anytime I'm trying to export again, I don't even reach the pop asking which layers I'd like to export and where. So I can't even choose a local destination to export to...

Any idea?

EDIT: After trying to figure it out, I want to export a point layer that is in a .gdb on our Direction servern and which is in projection A, and a background layer that is in a ArcSDE geodatabase on the Government geographic server. The background layer's projection is different than my point layer's.

So all of a sudden, many causes for my problem, and not that many that I can influence or change to resolve it when I read the solutions given above...

It used to work on the previous versions I had installed on this same computer: ArcMap 9.3 and ArcPad 7.1. Please make it happen 😉
0 Kudos
LesleyRoddam
New Contributor
Well, it appears there are a number of causes for ArcPad Data Manager crashing ArcMap.

When this happened to me, the cause was that two of the feature classes in my mxd had a relationship to the same table. This is not allowed by the software. Luckily, it was a table that was created but never used, so I just deleted it. I don't know how to handle this if you need to keep this related table.
Hope this helps someone!
0 Kudos
JuanLuera
If you our encountering ArcMap crashing when attempting to check out data for ArcPad, I would try the following:

1. Uninstall current version of ArcPad
2. Delete ArcPad folder(s) within c:\program file\arcgis
3. Delete the My ArcPad within my documents
4. Download and install ArcPad 10.0 SP3 from Esri Customer Care Portal https://customers.esri.com/index.cfm?event=login.show
5. Launch and register ArcPad 10.0 SP3, attempt to check data out again from ArcMap
0 Kudos
TimBates
New Contributor
Just finished installing ArcGIS 10 and ArcPad 10 and am having the same problem trying to export data from ArcMap 10 to ArcPad 10. It shuts everything down.

Very frustrating. I have the same problem with ArcGIS 10 and ArcPad 10, but not with ArcGIS 9.3.1/ArcPad 10... I have found simplifying symbology and removing all but essential labelling helps, but not reliably.

Also suspect that the presence of a mixture of projected/unprojected and different datums within checked out data is no good. Also some corrupted feature geometry will screw up ArcPad too...
0 Kudos
JuanLuera
Tim,

Did you attempt my previous suggestion of moving to ArcPad 10.0 SP3? Please let us know if this issue persist and the upgrade doesn�??t resolve the issue.
0 Kudos
DavidRobinson4
New Contributor II
Tim,

Did you attempt my previous suggestion of moving to ArcPad 10.0 SP3? Please let us know if this issue persist and the upgrade doesn�??t resolve the issue.

Juan:

Please note that I pointed out a problem with Python in a recent post -- despite installing several versions of Python I could not get 10.0.3 to fully install. Do you have a solution to that since you are recommending the upgrade?

Please see my post.
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/43524-Installing-ArcPad-10.0.3-Python-Not-Found

cheers
0 Kudos
JuanLuera
David,

I replied through your posting, and once we worked this issue out we can post our results on both forums. Thanks David!
0 Kudos
BrysonWebber
New Contributor III
Any solution to this?  I started a new thread describing my problem because this one was old.  I am having the same problem but I am running ArcGIS 10.1 and ArcPad 10.0.4.  I have tried everything suggested here.  The only thing that works is moving all data to my C: drive.  It doesn't work on my second local drive.  But this is not an acceptable solution because we have an enterprise system here and it is a lot of extra steps and wasted space to do this.

So if anyone has an idea it would me much appreciated.

Bryson
0 Kudos