ArcPad Data Manager shuts down ArcMap

05-18-2010 09:41 AM
DuaneTreadon
Occasional Contributor
I am ruining ArcInfo 9.3.1 on an ELA (Enterprise License Agreement) and ArcPad 8 on its own license (not part of the ELA).  When I use the data manager to export my data for use in ArcPad I get an error message during processing.  The error signature states:

EventType : BEX     P1 : ArcMap.exe     P2 : 9.3.1.3000     P3 : 49c1abad    
P4 : ArcPadToolsGen2.dll     P5 : 8.0.3.7     P6 : 4b625e03     P7 : 000dba47
P8 : c0000409     P9 : 00000000    

ArcMap shuts down after the error and no data is processed.  This event happen when i try to export as shape file or a AXF file. 

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong or what might be happening?

Thanks,
JT
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
38 Replies
JasonWeis
New Contributor III
I've noticed that I cannot export to a network drive (with or without spaces in the path), but can always export to a local drive (with or without spaces in the path).  Whenever I attempt to export to a network location, ArcMap will crash and shut down.  When I check the network location, all of the files are there (axf, shapefiles, etc), EXCEPT the APM file.

My temporary work-around is to save to a local directory, but hopefully ESRI addresses this in an upcoming patch.
0 Kudos
JohnZimmerman
New Contributor
I too am having this issue: just about any operation with the Data Manager kills ArcMap.  Even just trying to export symbology.

This is a very serious issue for ArcPad users and I hope that ESRI can get it fixed very soon.
0 Kudos
NicholasBerkun
New Contributor
i've had the same problem, but the workaround is to manually copy the files to the GPS unit -- using MS Active Sync.

is there any feedback from ESRI?
0 Kudos
DuaneTreadon
Occasional Contributor
So far nothing from ESRI which is surprising since they usually have a good response.  Sometimes I think ArcPad is their red headed stepchild.  I do manually transfer files but find it frustrating that I have to do so.
0 Kudos
JohnZimmerman
New Contributor
So far nothing from ESRI which is surprising since they usually have a good response.  Sometimes I think ArcPad is their red headed stepchild.  I do manually transfer files but find it frustrating that I have to do so.

Transferring files is not a huge problem. Not being able to export symbology is!  I have a geologic map with about 250 units in it!

Come on ESRI, fix it.
0 Kudos
JohnAllen
New Contributor III
I've noticed that I cannot export to a network drive (with or without spaces in the path), but can always export to a local drive (with or without spaces in the path).  Whenever I attempt to export to a network location, ArcMap will crash and shut down.  When I check the network location, all of the files are there (axf, shapefiles, etc), EXCEPT the APM file.

My temporary work-around is to save to a local directory, but hopefully ESRI addresses this in an upcoming patch.

I just got off the phone with ESRI Tech support and this is the same conclusion we came to.
I can checkout anything I want to my local drive and everything works perfectly, but if I try to check the same data out to a network folder ArcMap 10 will crash.

I have full permissions to the folders on the network drive I am checking them out to, but I am still getting the same problem as the quote above.

So my solution is to check them out to my local drive then copy them into my network folder and everything worked fine. I would like to Check out my data directly to the network folder, but for now its not that big of a problem.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
StevenRehbaum
New Contributor
This is starting to happen to me as well.  We have about 35 or so layers without any complex symbology whatsoever.  It runs from a custom toolbar hooked into GPScorrect.  The ArcPad Data Manager gets through about 2 of the layers to .axf and then ArcMap comes crashing down.  I am processing locally without any success.  It worked prior to today with no real issues (other than being slow).  I uninstalled and reinstalled ArcPad and still have the same issue and there were no other changes made.  This is going to be a major problem as all of out collected data will be checked in using disconnected editing for our SDE database.  I hope a service pack for 10 resolves a lot of these bugs ASAP.

\venting
0 Kudos
MikeDahm
Occasional Contributor
I was having a similar problem until I realized that my list of exported features included two duplicates that were in my table of contents.  When I removed the duplicate from the export list it work correctly.  I still had to export to a local drive.
0 Kudos
JennSmithyman
New Contributor II
Has anyone found a solution for this problem?  I cannot check data out of SDE to network or local drives since I upgraded to version 10.  Working with shapefiles is a huge amount of work.....  I have installed SP1 and all patches as of today.
0 Kudos
LaneHowerton
New Contributor III
Having same problem. Checking out data from SDE to PGDB works fine but GPS Analyst or ArcPad Manager checkout crashes ArcMap.
0 Kudos