ArcPad 8 crashes while running custom applet form

04-18-2012 12:58 PM
AaronWorthley
New Contributor II
I'm trying to get ArcPad 8 running on a new Trimble Juno 3B that is replacing a recently broken Juno SB.  I had a custom toolbar/form applet on the old unit that I have installed on the new unit.  When I try to use the custom form (creates a new editable layer from a template) ArcPad crashes hard...it takes a hard reboot of the unit to get running again.  The crash happens when trying to open the soft keyboard and type in a file name in a standard text entry edit control on the form.  Using other controls on the form crashes the application in other ways.

The .apa and .vbs files were pulled directly from another unit with ArcPad 8 that worked just fine.  The only difference I can figure is the new 3B is running Windows Mobile Embedded 6.5 whereas the SB was running WM 6.1.

Any thoughts, ideas, fixes or known bugs that might be getting in my way?
thanks,
Aaron
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
GarethWalters
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Aaron,

Can you put your applet up here? We have a the 3B here in the office, would love to check it out. If you don't want to make it public feel free to direct mail me.

Cheers,

Gareth
0 Kudos
KristenCarroll
New Contributor III
Hi Aaron,
I've sent Gareth the script, and we will be testing the script in house.

Please contact me when you have a chance.

Thank you!

Kristen C.
Esri Support Services
0 Kudos
AaronWorthley
New Contributor II
I have confirmed that the scripts/applets work fine on Arcpad 10 on the Juno 3B, and as previously stated work fine with Arcpad 8 on Juno SB- so it's apparently an issue only with Arcpad 8 and the Juno3B.
0 Kudos
RobynBryant
New Contributor
Hi Aaron,
I've sent Gareth the script, and we will be testing the script in house.

Please contact me when you have a chance.

Thank you!

Kristen C.
Esri Support Services

Do you have anything further to add to this thread? I am experiencing the same issue on a Juno 3B and would like to know if there is any option other than upgrading to ArcPad 10.
0 Kudos
AaronWorthley
New Contributor II
Nothing new, ESRI finally tested and reproduced the issue and stopped saying it was a problem with my script.  It was logged as a defect and the end solution was "upgrade to Arcpad 10".  I wouldn't hold your breath on an Arcpad 8 fix.  Apparently its potentially an issue with some other newer hardware as well.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I have found the same to be true when running ArcPad 8 on a Trimble Juno 3B.  I am now trying to get our applets to work with ArcPad 10 and have had no luck.  I have tested them in both a Windows 7 and a Juno 3B environment.  I have put the applets in the applets folder and set the applet folder path to the correct location.  I am unable to get them to display in the list of toolbars.  The ArcPad layer files do work, however. 

Also, QuickCapture does not work correctly in ArcPad on a Juno 3B.  I am not able to customize the icons that appear in the toolbar.  When I turn some of the icons off, they continue to display.  Unchecking a box does not affect the display.  This does work properly, however, in Windows 7.

I can send the applets if someone is willing to test them.

Thanks,
Matthew
0 Kudos