What do <!--> and <??> mean in an AddIn config file?

Jump to solution
10-29-2012 10:08 AM
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
All,

I'm in the process of converting a .net project for 9.3 into a 10.1 ESRI AddIn. I've tinkered around with AddIns only a little. Whilst in visual studio editing the Config.esriaddinx file when I start to type out an element such as <menu> or <button> I see in the popup list the elements <!-- and <? what do these mean?

I've tried searching the help and get nothing (unless I've missed it), so it would be good to get some clarification on what these elements mean.

Thanks.

Duncan
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NeilClemmons
Regular Contributor III
I don't work with addins but if I remember right, that config file is just an xml file.  In xml, the tags <!-- and --> are used for comments and the tags <? and ?> are used in the file header (i.e. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NeilClemmons
Regular Contributor III
I don't work with addins but if I remember right, that config file is just an xml file.  In xml, the tags <!-- and --> are used for comments and the tags <? and ?> are used in the file header (i.e. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>).
0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
Ah! Thank you, so they are an XML thing and not something specific to an ESRI AddIn. Once you pointed me into the right direction I found this page if anyone else is interested.
0 Kudos