VS 2010 and  ArcMap Add-in project templates

03-08-2011 07:51 AM
JoseSanchez
Occasional Contributor III
Hi all,

I am using ArcGIs 9.3 and I have in my computer VS 2005 and VS 2010.

Where are the Web ADF and ArcMap Add-in project templates  in VS 2010?  I can see them in VS 2005.

Please advise
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JasonTipton
Occasional Contributor III
I am having a similar issue. Trying to install the ArcObjects SDK for .Net so that I can create an add-in from VB.Net. I am using VB.Net Express. I can get the add-in templates to show up in 2008, but not 2010. Do I need to uninstall 2008 so that it will install to 2010?

BTW, I had to uninstall/reinstall 4 times before I could get the templates to show up in 2008. I finally had to check the VCPP and Samples to get it to actually install anything even though that I am only concerned with the VB.

Edit: I am using ArcGIS 10 SP1
0 Kudos
NeilClemmons
Regular Contributor III
Visual Studio 2010 is not supported at ArcGIS 9.3.  At ArcGIS 10, Visual Studio 2010 is supported but not all of the add-in functionality is available in the Express editions.
0 Kudos
JeffreyHamblin
New Contributor III
From my experience, and according to the following:

ArcObjects SDK 10 System Requirements

only Visual Studio 2008 is supported for Express editions by the SDK 10 installer. I was not able to install the SDK 10 with Visual Studio 2010 Express.

According to Deprecation plan for ArcGIS 10.0 and 10.1, SDK 10.1 will drop support for Visual Studio 2008 altogether, and the installer will work with all editions of Visual Studio 2010.

-Jeff
0 Kudos
GarySchells
New Contributor III
I have Visual Studio 2010 Professional Edition installed and have just loaded the ArcGIS 9.3.1 SDK and do not see any ArcGIS templates.  Do I need to be running Visual Studio 2008 to work with ArcGIS 9.3.1?
0 Kudos
NeilClemmons
Regular Contributor III
I have Visual Studio 2010 Professional Edition installed and have just loaded the ArcGIS 9.3.1 SDK and do not see any ArcGIS templates.  Do I need to be running Visual Studio 2008 to work with ArcGIS 9.3.1?

You can use any version of Visual Studio to program against any version of ArcGIS as long as that version of Visual Studio supports the version of the .NET Framework required by the version of ArcGIS that you're using..  However, the ESRI SDKs are only supported for specific versions of Visual Studio (which versions of Visual Studio depends on which version of the SDK, refer to the developer help).  This means if you are using an unsupported version of Visual Studio then you cannot install the ESRI SDK.  All the SDK is is a collection of templates and addins for Visual Studio.  For me personally, I don't ever use any of those so not having the SDK installed is no big deal.

Also, you need to make sure that you're targeting the version of the .NET Framework that is supported by the version of ArcGIS you're programming against.  For 9.3.1, that would be .NET Framework 3.5.
0 Kudos