Visual Studio SOE templates missing

01-23-2014 07:48 AM
EricO_Neal
New Contributor II
I am using Visual Studio 2010 Express with ArcGIS 10.1, which is supposed to support the ArcObjects SDK.  I can see all of the Desktop templates, but the "Server Object Extenstions" templates are empty in "New Project".  I read somewhere, and if I remember correctly, these will not appear unless Framework 3.5 is targeted.  The problem is that VS2010 Express by default targets the 4.0 framework and I cannot change that until AFTER I start a new project and by then its too late to apply the template.  Not sure if this is the reason as I dont think the template are getting copied to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\VCSExpress\ItemTemplates\ArcGIS\Server Object Extensions" either.

Am I really going to need to buy an outdated version of Visual Studio Professional 2010 to migrate ONE SOE????

Help!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ErinBrimhall
Occasional Contributor II
You may be able to change the default framework version used during Project creation by modifying your registry.

I'm not using Visual Studio 2010 Express, so I can't confirm whether or not this approach will work, but it's worth looking into.

In regedit, drill down to the following path:

[INDENT]HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VSWinExpress[/INDENT]

From here (and I'm doing a bit of guesswork since I don't have Express installed), look for a folder called NewProjectDialog.  With any luck this folder will exist and contain FxVersion as a string value that specifies the Framework version. 

Hope this helps!
0 Kudos
EricO_Neal
New Contributor II
Thanks.  That key was found in the registry for Visual Studio Express Web Developer, but wasnt there for the C# desktop Express version of 2010.  What I did to get me moving was download the Professional 30 day trial version.  My suspicions were correct because the templates were missing in that as well until I switched to framework 3.5 on the start page.
0 Kudos