Select by Attribute and Select by Location dialog

06-23-2013 03:37 AM
BaghdadAlAlavi
New Contributor
Hi all.
In my first post in ESRI forums, I'm looking for a complete code of Select by Attribute and Select by Location in ArcObjects, If exists. I'm developing a stand-alone application in ArcEngine 10, so i don't have access to those dialogs in ArcMap. Hence, I have to code all of that functionality from scratch and this a painful task (i.e. considering all aspect of those dialogs)
I wonder if there is anyone has coded this before and can share his code with me. I've searched internet before but no help.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor
For one of my projects (an ArcGIS 10 application written in VB.NET), I duplicated the Select by Attribute form and added in some additional functionality.

Here's the zipped form, but it does make references to other items in the project.
0 Kudos
BaghdadAlAlavi
New Contributor
For one of my projects (an ArcGIS 10 application written in VB.NET), I duplicated the Select by Attribute form and added in some additional functionality.

Here's the zipped form, but it does make references to other items in the project.

Wow, that sounds interesting man. Although i have not tested your form -because it needs some change for my project and i'll do it later-, it sounds a real copy of Select By Attribute dialog.
Thanks again man. You have saved me lots of time.

Now, i'm just looking for a  code for Select By location.
0 Kudos
BaghdadAlAlavi
New Contributor
I don't know who has marked this thread as Answered. I'm still looking for a code for Select By Location dialog.
0 Kudos
LeoDonahue
Occasional Contributor III
Now, i'm just looking for a code for Select By location.

Sir, I think you are in the wrong place.  The forum isn't a code vending machine.  It's a place to ask questions and have discussions.  It is likely you are not going to get someone to hand over their work like that. 

There are visual examples of the dialog online.
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/00s5/00s500000021000000.htm
0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor
I don't know who has marked this thread as Answered. I'm still looking for a code for Select By Location dialog.

If you're not going to mark it as answered, you should at least click the "This post was helpful" up arrow.
0 Kudos
BaghdadAlAlavi
New Contributor
If you're not going to mark it as answered, you should at least click the "This post was helpful" up arrow.

Dear Kenbuja, Beacause i'm a newcomer to this forum, i wasn't noticed that arrow. I was looking for a "Thanks" button at the bottom of the post, as other forums.

Anyway, I really thank you for your help. You saved me lots of time.

Sir, I think you are in the wrong place.  The forum isn't a code vending machine.  It's a place to ask questions and have discussions.  It is likely you are not going to get someone to hand over their work like that. 

There are visual examples of the dialog online.
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/00s5/00s500000021000000.htm

Dear ldonahue
I know that this is kind of big request. But, in fact, programming these dialogs is not so hard. It just takes a long time.
I asked this question, mainly, for saving time. As i see in this forum, programming questions are usually asked as new threads and they are the difficulties of ArcObjects programming.
Just to say that, this type of help is different from answering programming difficulties. M.r Kenbuja didn't help me directly by answering my programming questions, But he saved a lot of time.
Thanks for your tip

and finally, Dear forum's Admin, I'm sorry for bringing up an old thread. I was thinking that i will get an email notification for each reply to this thread, like the email notification i received for first reply.
So, missing next replies is my fault. Forgive me.
0 Kudos
LeoDonahue
Occasional Contributor III

Dear ldonahue
I know that this is kind of big request. But, in fact, programming these dialogs is not so hard. It just takes a long time.
I asked this question, mainly, for saving time.

Anything worth doing is worth the time it takes to do it.  Wasting time is a different issue completely.

If you really want to recreate the exact functionality of ArcMap in an ArcEngine application, why not just develop an add-in?  I remember when ArcEngine hit the streets, everyone and their dog wanted to recreate ArcMap in a standalone application and soon realized that if you wanted it - you had to build it from scratch.  Are those apps still around today?
0 Kudos
BaghdadAlAlavi
New Contributor
Anything worth doing is worth the time it takes to do it.  Wasting time is a different issue completely.

If you really want to recreate the exact functionality of ArcMap in an ArcEngine application, why not just develop an add-in?  I remember when ArcEngine hit the streets, everyone and their dog wanted to recreate ArcMap in a standalone application and soon realized that if you wanted it - you had to build it from scratch.  Are those apps still around today?

Unfortunately yes. There are still some clients who want part of ArcGIS functionality in their standalone GIS application.
Also, there are some cases - as it is the case of Kenbuja- which you need a copy of, for e.g., Select By Attribute dialog with a little variation and this little variation must be coded due to logic of program.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos