Reduce number of vertices

Jump to solution
11-15-2012 06:10 AM
JohnZastrow
New Contributor III
I must be using the wrong terminology in my search.

We're going to be doing some raster -> polygon delineation in ArcGIS Server using .Net ArcObjects (in 10.0). We know the results will be a little jaggy and we're interested in smoothing the shape and reducing some of the complexity by removing some vertices. So I'm looking for your basic Douglas-Peucker (or better) implementation in ArcObjects. ArcObjects Simplify and Smooth do not seem to be what we need. Any thoughts?

David Douglas & Thomas Peucker, "Algorithms for the reduction of the number of points required to represent a digitized line or its caricature", The Canadian Cartographer 10(2), 112-122  (1973)

John Hershberger & Jack Snoeyink, "Speeding Up the Douglas-Peucker Line-Simplification Algorithm", Proc 5th Symp on Data Handling, 134-143 (1992).  UBC Tech Report available online from NEC ResearchIndex.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com/2011/12/03/vertex-reductionone-of-my-secret-weapons/
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlexanderGray
Occasional Contributor III
Generalize uses douglas poiker or a variation thereof.  You can use it as a GP tool or the method on the path or the geometryserver (probably this one for server implementation.)

Side note, apparently Peucker changed his name to Poiker in 1979...  I was just wondering about the name difference...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlexanderGray
Occasional Contributor III
Generalize uses douglas poiker or a variation thereof.  You can use it as a GP tool or the method on the path or the geometryserver (probably this one for server implementation.)

Side note, apparently Peucker changed his name to Poiker in 1979...  I was just wondering about the name difference...
0 Kudos
JohnZastrow
New Contributor III
Ahh yes."generalize" makes a better search term. Thank you.
0 Kudos