Open Data Dialog in Stand-alone Application

12-13-2013 10:40 AM
DerrickPlotsky
New Contributor II
Hello,

I am currently working on porting a stand-alone application using ArcObjects (a port from old VB6 code). Currently the application is using a GxDialog to select files from the file system. It looks like the GxDialog won't function if it's not used while inside of ArcMap or ArcCatalog. Is there something else that I could use that would allow for me to have a similar level of filter over the types of datasets the user would be looking for? For example shapefile, geodatabase feature class, table, etc. I had thought of using the Windows Forms open file dialog, but that won't allow me to get file geodatabase feature classes. Does anyone know of anything I can use?

- Derrick
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
Why is the gxdialog not working? What makes you think that? Is there an error message?  If you look at the archived forum some people suggest installing the interop extension to make it work but that was for 9.1...
0 Kudos
NeilClemmons
Regular Contributor III
Hello,

I am currently working on porting a stand-alone application using ArcObjects (a port from old VB6 code). Currently the application is using a GxDialog to select files from the file system. It looks like the GxDialog won't function if it's not used while inside of ArcMap or ArcCatalog. Is there something else that I could use that would allow for me to have a similar level of filter over the types of datasets the user would be looking for? For example shapefile, geodatabase feature class, table, etc. I had thought of using the Windows Forms open file dialog, but that won't allow me to get file geodatabase feature classes. Does anyone know of anything I can use?

- Derrick

The GxDialog works just fine in stand-alone applications but you must check out a Desktop license in order to use it (which also means that ArcGIS Desktop must be installed on the machine).  If you are building your application using only ArcGIS Engine components then you can use the built-in Add Data tool.
0 Kudos