JoinField in geoprocessor giving errors

Jump to solution
08-22-2013 06:58 AM
DebbieAlger
New Contributor III
HI,

I am in Arc10.0 using VB.net. trying to use the GP tool JoinField as shown below, but it keeps giving "Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005)" ERRORS. I have used other GP tools just fine. FYI, below I have also tried adding the tables as objects and without the .dbf extension with no luck.

Public Function Test_GP2()

' Create geoprocessor. Overwrite true will replace existing output.

Dim pJoin As ESRI.ArcGIS.DataManagementTools.JoinField
        Dim Result As ESRI.ArcGIS.Geoprocessing.IGeoProcessorResult

Try

' Execute the tool

pJoin = New ESRI.ArcGIS.DataManagementTools.JoinField
            pJoin.in_data = "C:\_Debbie\GapTool\Results\2\3S_3\Output\3S_3\E_3S_3.dbf"
            pJoin.in_field = "VALUE"
            pJoin.join_table = "V:\Natural_Resources\LandCover2000\LV2000\LV2000.dbf"
            pJoin.join_field = "UNIQUE_ID"

Result = RunTool(pJoin, Nothing)

Catch ex As Exception
            MsgBox("ERROR: " & m_Current_Address & " - Export table - " & " " & ex.Message)

Finally
            pJoin = Nothing
            Result = Nothing
        End Try

End Function

Public Function RunTool(ByVal Process As ESRI.ArcGIS.Geoprocessor.IGPProcess, ByVal TC As ESRI.ArcGIS.esriSystem.ITrackCancel) As ESRI.ArcGIS.Geoprocessing.IGeoProcessorResult

Dim Result As ESRI.ArcGIS.Geoprocessing.IGeoProcessorResult
        Dim GP As ESRI.ArcGIS.Geoprocessor.Geoprocessor = New ESRI.ArcGIS.Geoprocessor.Geoprocessor()
        Try

Result = CType(GP.Execute(Process, Nothing), ESRI.ArcGIS.Geoprocessing.IGeoProcessorResult)
            If Result.Status <> ESRI.ArcGIS.esriSystem.esriJobStatus.esriJobSucceeded Then MsgBox("error") 'ReturnMessages()
            GP.ClearMessages()
        Catch ex As Exception

System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show(ex.ToString, "Run Geoprocessor")
        End Try

Return Result

End Function

thanks,
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DebbieAlger
New Contributor III
thanks for all your input, I am doing all the binding necessary for Engine, it was just this GP tool I had trouble with. Anyway, I figured it out. I have to pass in an object, table, not the literal string for the table. so all good now.

Cheers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
Are the fields of different type? Are you trying to join a string field to a numeric?
0 Kudos
DebbieAlger
New Contributor III
interesting question, but they are both integers. I have used the exact same parameters in ArcToolBox to perform this task, so I know this should work. THis is in arcEngine, in case that matters.
0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
I have yet to develop an engine application but I know one needs to initialize ArcObjects as the first thing you must do before calling any ArcObjects, have you done this? Look on the forums for IAoInitialize. Whilst searching I found references to Binding to RuntimeManager not sure if you need to do that to?
0 Kudos
DebbieAlger
New Contributor III
thanks for all your input, I am doing all the binding necessary for Engine, it was just this GP tool I had trouble with. Anyway, I figured it out. I have to pass in an object, table, not the literal string for the table. so all good now.

Cheers
0 Kudos