Is it possible to install Addin for all users on computer?

Jump to solution
08-06-2013 02:56 AM
BarbaraSchneider1
Deactivated User
Hello,

when a user installs an Addin on a computer, it is only visible for this user. Is it possible to install it for all users on a computer?

Thanks,
Barbara
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JoeVondracek
Regular Contributor
Yes, if an admin on that computer creates a registry setting with a location to the add-in, then all users on that computer will automatically see that add-in.  Check out the help docs for "Advanced add-in concepts":
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcobjects-net/conceptualhelp/#/Advanced_add_in_concepts/0001000...

The relevant section is at the very bottom of that page.  "Administrators can also use the registry to specify additional folders to probe for add-ins. This feature can be used by administrators to control user access to add-ins. To add administrator folders, manually enter a new AddInFolders key under the Settings key and add a new string value for each add-in folder."

For example, if I create a registry string under HKLM\SOFTWARE\ESRI\Desktop10.1\Settings\AddInFolders called "D:\ArcGIS\AddIns", then any user running ArcMap on that computer will see any add-ins that have been placed in the D:\ArcGIS\AddIns folder as a Shared Add-In in ArcMap's Add-In Manager.  The users will NOT be able to delete those add-ins using the Add-In Manager.

Note: If you are running 64-bit Windows, the registry key will be under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ESRI\Desktop10.1\Settings\AddInFolders.  Also, you may have to create the AddInFolders key yourself under Settings.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
FabianOrtega
Occasional Contributor

Hi, 

Does anyone know if this solution also works for Pro last version (2.9.*) ?

I've followed all the steps but it doesn't work, so maybe I'm doing something wrong or something changed for Pro.

Thanks,

Fabian

0 Kudos
FabianOrtega
Occasional Contributor

Hi again,

Found the answer to my question in the documentation :

https://github.com/esri/arcgis-pro-sdk/wiki/ArcGIS-Pro-Registry-Keys

It works like a charm!

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Fabian

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
If you place the AddIn in a folder that all users can reach (e.g. a sub-folder in the ArcGIS folder) then all users can log in under their own profile and navigate to it. If it is on a network drive then all users could navigate to it from any computer with ArcGIS...
0 Kudos
JoeVondracek
Regular Contributor
Yes, if an admin on that computer creates a registry setting with a location to the add-in, then all users on that computer will automatically see that add-in.  Check out the help docs for "Advanced add-in concepts":
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcobjects-net/conceptualhelp/#/Advanced_add_in_concepts/0001000...

The relevant section is at the very bottom of that page.  "Administrators can also use the registry to specify additional folders to probe for add-ins. This feature can be used by administrators to control user access to add-ins. To add administrator folders, manually enter a new AddInFolders key under the Settings key and add a new string value for each add-in folder."

For example, if I create a registry string under HKLM\SOFTWARE\ESRI\Desktop10.1\Settings\AddInFolders called "D:\ArcGIS\AddIns", then any user running ArcMap on that computer will see any add-ins that have been placed in the D:\ArcGIS\AddIns folder as a Shared Add-In in ArcMap's Add-In Manager.  The users will NOT be able to delete those add-ins using the Add-In Manager.

Note: If you are running 64-bit Windows, the registry key will be under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ESRI\Desktop10.1\Settings\AddInFolders.  Also, you may have to create the AddInFolders key yourself under Settings.
0 Kudos
BarbaraSchneider1
Deactivated User
Hi Joe,

great, thanks!

Barbara
0 Kudos
FabianOrtega
Occasional Contributor

Hi, 

Does anyone know if this solution also works for Pro last version (2.9.*) ?

I've followed all the steps but it doesn't work, so maybe I'm doing something wrong or something changed for Pro.

Thanks,

Fabian

0 Kudos
FabianOrtega
Occasional Contributor

Hi again,

Found the answer to my question in the documentation :

https://github.com/esri/arcgis-pro-sdk/wiki/ArcGIS-Pro-Registry-Keys

It works like a charm!

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Fabian

0 Kudos