ESRIRegAsm.exe Error

Jump to solution
02-20-2013 04:38 AM
JasonPike
Occasional Contributor
I am trying to run ESRIRegAsm.exe on a 64-bit Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (Service Pack 1), non-development machine, but I'm getting the following error:

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application."

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: ESRIRegAsm.exe
  Application Version: 10.1.1.3143
  Application Timestamp: 5058c59b
  Fault Module Name: StackHash_4c0d
  Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Offset: 76c74913
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.16.7
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: 4c0d
  Additional Information 2: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433
  Additional Information 3: 4c0d
  Additional Information 4: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433

I have changed the ESRIRegAsm.exe.config file as follows:

<startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
      <supportedRuntime version="v4.0.30319"/>
      <!--<supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/>-->
  </startup>

I have also tried various compatibility modes and run the executable as Administrator with no change in results.

I have used the Dependency Walker to see if there were any differences on my development machine (Windows 7 Enterprise, Service Pack 1) and these were the only two discrepancies, which I believe to be inconsequential:

WLANAPI.DLL
Resolves to the following on my machine:
c:\windows\system32\WLANAPI.DLL

GDIPLUS.DLL
Resolves to the following on my machine:
c:\windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.windows.gdiplus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.1.7601.17825_none_72d273598668a06b\GDIPLUS.DLL

I've already seen this thread and none of the suggestions helped.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? More importantly, does anyone know how to fix this problem?
0 Kudos
36 Replies
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
seems that other people relate your problem: http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?threadID=290817
0 Kudos
JasonPike
Occasional Contributor
seems that other people relate your problem: http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?threadID=290817

I suppose it could be related, but I'm getting a different kind of failure.
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
Have you tried with support ESRI? I haven't citrix.
0 Kudos
JasonPike
Occasional Contributor
Have you tried with support ESRI? I haven't citrix.

Domenico,

We've had a premium support case open with ESRI since 02/25/2013. On 03/04/2013, the "non-technical" support referred the incident to the "technical" support staff, but we haven't heard anything since. I will post status here as I get it (I have been trying to post everything that we tried on our own and as suggested by ESRI support.) Hopefully, I will posting a solution in the very near future.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
The reason why I kept asking you to run the 64 bit version of the utility was that I assumed that all of this related to ArcGIS Server.  I, incorrectly, made that assumption based on the fact that you were discussing Windows Server 2008 R2 as the OS.

It is now clear that you have a server which hosts ArcMap using Citrix.  In this case using the 32 bit version is the correct thing to do.  Apologies for the confusion.

After so much discussion it will be good to see what the resolution of this issue is.  Let's see what ESRI comes up with....
0 Kudos
JasonPike
Occasional Contributor
Well, another person on my team remembered having trouble with Symantec Endpoint Protection 12, so he uninstalled it and ESRIRegAsm.exe started working.

Apparently, my test, where I disabled all of the Symantec software wasn't thorough enough. The reason I thought I had Symantec ruled out was because Symantec stopped showing up in Process Monitor once I disabled it. However, it low-level hooks via C:\Windows\System32\sysferThunk.dll is the issue, which is some how related to SEP.

The problem seems to be a conflict between SEP 12 and Citrix XenApp:
http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/sep-121-citrix-xenapp-causing-application-launch-failure

The article above mentions that uninstalling XenApp or SEP will fix the problem, but we've also found the XenApp works fine with SEP 11.

Big thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Jason - I just wanted to say thanks for posting the solution to this issue.  We ran into the same issue with ArcGIS 10.2 and the solution you posted solved our problem as well.  This saved us a lot of time.

Thanks,

Randy
0 Kudos